HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Its just a better...what? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/414652-its-just-better-what.html)

Gm54-120 07-07-2017 06:55 AM

Its just a better...what?

People waited for months to get these Apex 45/70 barrels for converting to 45cal MLs/SMLs. I sure hope this one is just a fluke because there were quite a few that just arrived from Spain. I heard Carlos bought quite a few of them and ASG did also.

Horrid chamber

Stained

Doesn't even look like it was crowned

Most of this doesn't mean much for someone converting since the machine work needed will remove most of these imperfections but if you were gunna use it for a CF it could be a huge issue.

1874sharpsshooter 07-07-2017 08:51 AM

.........:) ..........

Gm54-120 07-07-2017 09:59 AM

The guy who bought it also says his hammer wont pull back with that barrel unless he slams it shut. It hasn't even been converted yet. His other barrels lock up tight and close fine.

I hope the guys that bought a pallet of them dont have similar issues. They have lots of people waiting on them.

hunters_life 07-07-2017 10:19 AM

That's bloody awful. No excuse for that barrel to make it out of the shop. Just another example of CVA's poor quality control and why so many people are against them. If they let that miserable excuse for a barrel get past, just what do you think happens to the ones with poor stressing and other things that can't be seen easily but are even more deadly? I see people saying, well mine is good and never had a problem. And that may be so. But even just 1 out of a 100 getting by is 1 too damn many. These aren't toys that one can just say, awww it broke, oh well. These are highly dangerous pieces of equipment that can maim and kill the operator with just the simplest of mistakes.

Gm54-120 07-07-2017 10:31 AM

Another guy who got one just posted his has the same "crown" or lack of but the rest of the barrel looks fine. He also confirmed his earlier Apex barrels had the recessed crown.

The Apex 45/70 converted to a SML has been a "go to" for affordable conversions. Mainly because the price BUT the breach OD is larger than other break actions. Plus the barrels are offered in what is called Full Contour.

Oldtimr 07-07-2017 10:39 AM

GM, if you aren't satisfied, send it back. I would not accept a chamber that looks beat up like that one does.

Muley Hunter 07-07-2017 10:52 AM

The way you guys rag on CVA and Berara. Why would you buy their barrel?

CVA makes great muzzleloaders. Even I wouldn't buy anything else they make.

Gm54-120 07-07-2017 11:04 AM

I didn't buy it although i would get a Scout V2 if i really wanted a converted CVA. I guess you missed the post where i said i liked the Scout and even recommended people that want a fast twist break action try one.

Muley Hunter 07-07-2017 11:07 AM

I haven't missed all your comments on CVA muzzleloaders.

Gm54-120 07-07-2017 12:17 PM

I know, your memory is quite selective. Ive ragged on Knight plenty starting with the first release of the Mountaineer.

Then again, you only remember what you want to remember. The larger picture eludes you.