Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Nice Powerbelt load for the Accura... >

Nice Powerbelt load for the Accura...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Nice Powerbelt load for the Accura...

Old 07-09-2017, 03:58 PM
Banned

you are trolling a thread that you have zero interest in.

If you don't shoot or support powerbelts then get over it, this topic is not for you.

I on the other hand have gone into great detail in testing and field testing with them to help educate others about them.

The bullet in the original thread is a great bullet. With the Black MZ, it's not a high velocity powder that can compare with T7 or BH209, so, its a perfect charge for that bullet.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am posting facts on a thread written by a WHC "ProStaffer". CVA/BPI is a primary sponsor for that website and forum.

I think its only accurate to see opinions from the past "experts". Im agreeing with those opinions. You are the other hand continue to respond with name calling and half truths. You neglect to mention how you at one time made inserts to prevent this "over expansion" you now deny exists.

The bullet in the original thread is a great bullet. With the Black MZ, it's not a high velocity powder that can compare with T7 or BH209, so, its a perfect charge for that bullet.
I would be interested to see the actual MV of this load. Its very hard to claim its perfect without a more precise estimate. I would lean towards agreeing if we were talking about a PB Plat in the 350gr range. At least the sectional density would be approaching a 45cal 300gr PB Plat projectile which didn't do too bad holding together.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 07-09-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Slowburn
Why would shooting deer with a .223 and a 55 gr HP be wrong?
First off, please be informed i have never shot a deer with my AR. If i did shoot a deer with my AR, my bullet choice would be the bullet that really shoots good from my AR. A bullet that works real good in my AR is a 65 grain soft point. It is very accurate. It makes tiny groups at 200 yard, and bangs the gong at 420 yard. If i were to hunt deer, the 65 grain soft point is what i would use. It is, to me a better choice, than a 55 grain hollow point designed for blowing up gophers. Nosler makes a 22 partition that should be good for deer. Hornady makes a monolithic that also should work good on deer.

This 65 grain soft point bullet i used to kill a coyote, and a marmot, and some turkey; it did the job.

___
Old 07-09-2017, 05:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Correct Ron. there are bullets for 223 that are intended for larger game. Some are even monolithic or partitions. Whether those two are really better by design alone im not sure but it would be prudent to find out vs using a fragile 55gr HP intended for varmints. That is why i included (varmint bullet) in my analogy. Its perfectly legal for me to use those here but i dont feel it is ethical.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 07-09-2017 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Correct Ron. there are bullets for 223 that are intended for larger game. Some are even monolithic or partitions. Whether those two are really better by design alone im not sure but it would be prudent to find out vs using a fragile 55gr HP intended for varmints. That is why i included (varmint bullet) in my analogy. Its perfectly legal for me to use those here but i dont feel it is ethical.
I wasn't trying to start anything just curious. With smaller caliber rifles bullet placement is everything. Placement in any caliber rifle is king. I have seen plenty of deer taken with 50-55 gr bullets of various construction. A HP wouldn't be my first choice but I feel confident I could take deer with a 55 gr HP .223 consistently within my own limitations. I have also seen plenty of deer wounded with larger caliber rifles including the .338 WM and never recovered. Not every animal is impressed by any caliber rifle. The same is also true for muzzleloaders. What ever works for you is what you should use. I don't shoot PB's and I don't shoot 55 gr HP I think both will work fine the majority of the time. Personally I like heavy for caliber bullets in all my rifles that I know work all the time. It's hard to tell a feller his rifle caliber or load is inferior and expect him to like it. Forgive me for the ramblings.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

I like to hear about powder/bullets combos that shoot well in a particular gun...maybe someone has that gun and is trying to get ready for hunting season.That's all I wanted to relay.

I have spent a large amount of money on muzzleloaders over the years... TC, Knight, Remington, CVA.... shot bullets from Hornady, Barnes, Nosler, and Powerbelt. I really have no complaints about any of them. They all shot well and when the time came they all put meat on the table. I killed several deer and one of my best bucks with a TC Encore Endeavor loaded with three Shockey's Gold Sticks and a 300 grain Nosler Partion PP. If I remember right, I shot five deer with that load, all through the shoulder. Two dropped on the spot and two ran 60 yards or so with ok blood. One ran about 50 yards, my best buck, with no blood at all.

All that being said, I love my goose neck CVA Accura... and I love shooting and hunting with Powerbelts... they load easy, shoot good, and hit hard. If you don't like Powerbelts it's fine with me... If you don't like a goose neck Accura, it's fine with me. I just don't understand all the negativity... please shoot what you like and encourage others to do the same.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

[QUOTE=flint head;4310259........I just don't understand all the negativity... please shoot what you like and encourage others to do the same.[/QUOTE]

Well put flint head. Opinions, even negative ones, are what forums are all about. But what I don't like is when it starts getting personal. THAT is childish and should be nipped in the bud ASAP. If members want to discuss things other than their opinion they should do it through PMs.