Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Interesting and well written article. >

Interesting and well written article.

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Interesting and well written article.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:16 PM
Typical Buck

Well Muley Hunter, they have to pay conservation officers, pay for the land, pay for upkeep of the land, pay for animal research, and a vast number of other things. So I would have to agree they care about money because it is something the DOW is always in very short supply of if you look at things from a financial point of view. Most sates are extremely short on the number of officers that they actually need.
As to the article, I myself am not really that into inlines though they are leaps and bounds ahead of most all sidelocks in the dependability and accuracy departments. I just enjoy my old smokers more. But I would never go against anyone wanting to use them as I am probably going to be getting into them more myself with my eyes going all wonky. I just couldn't bring myself to put a scope on any of my old smokers.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Thats odd because i found a season for ML in Montana

General Muzzleloader Seasons
(Deer) September 15th-25th
(Elk) September 1st- October 14th
To me it doesn't seem this information is correct. To my knowledge there is no muzzle loader season in Montana. Through the forty some years we hunted/lived there, there never was a muzzle loader season. There were HAM special times, and special places. HAM is an acronym for Handgun, Archery, Muzzle loader. HAM seasons have existed for years. HAM seasons exist near homes, and such. HAM seasons also happened when there is a population problem in farming areas. We participated in HAM seasons more than once, and gave away a lot of meat; real good meat.

_________
Old 06-27-2017, 04:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by hunters_life
Well Muley Hunter, they have to pay conservation officers, pay for the land, pay for upkeep of the land, pay for animal research, and a vast number of other things. So I would have to agree they care about money because it is something the DOW is always in very short supply of if you look at things from a financial point of view. Most sates are extremely short on the number of officers that they actually need.
As to the article, I myself am not really that into inlines though they are leaps and bounds ahead of most all sidelocks in the dependability and accuracy departments. I just enjoy my old smokers more. But I would never go against anyone wanting to use them as I am probably going to be getting into them more myself with my eyes going all wonky. I just couldn't bring myself to put a scope on any of my old smokers.
The DOW has an income of 6.1 billion a year. They need to learn how to manage it better.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:05 PM
Typical Buck

6.1B over 50 states is minimal to down right tiny. Think about the vast areas they manage/oversee. All the research they have to do on a yearly basis to figure the health and numbers of game animals. It's a daunting task for that amount of money. I know it's hard to imagine any amount of money ending in billion being a minimal amount. But if you look at it in a country wide aspect overseeing millions of acres, millions of hunters, and 100's of millions of game animals you might just begin to understand the very hard task the DOW has.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm talking about only Colorado with that income.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

37 days of hunting any deer compared to our 11 day and another 11 day for ML AFTER all firearms are over.

I think i would rather have the 37 day free for all vs mine. We use the same tags for both. We dont get any extra deer during our ML deer season. Ive probably hunted the firearms season with a ML more than ive hunted it with a CF.

Anytime i want to hunt primitive i could put in for a managed hunt and almost certainly get a tag for it. Those hunts get a tiny fraction of the applications that the "any" ML hunts get.

As far as the NMLRA, just try to be competitive with a off the shelf sidelock. The long range events are dominated by $2000+ customs that "look" primitive. I cant say there is very much primitive about a platinum nippled Badger barreled Gibbs clone or the plethora of multi thousand dollar rifles at the long range events.

The "old guard" at the NMLRA are terrified of a inline that cost half as much and shooting just as well or better as their so called "primitives".
Old 06-28-2017, 06:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks, Barnes Addict. That is a good read.

i'm on several muzzleloader sites. Some conventional muzzleloader advocates stumble along in a make believe world, preaching to the choir and acting as if 90 percent of muzzle loader users do not exist. One site in particular has several cantankerous and hateful individuals who take pride in insulting/off putting new posters.

Got into muzzleloaders in the early 1960s. Had a great mentor who was also a gunsmith and renowned marksman. "Uncle Joe" had lost his drivers license and i drove him to his first match in a couple years. A few shooters walked off when he showed up. One man made the comment "we heard Uncle Joe had passed away".

My mentor warned me about the re-enactors and HC dress up folks. i was invited to a rendezvous and made the mistake of walking between some high panjandrum and the fire and got scolded. Gave up the Civil War re-enacting and gave away my dress up stuff.

Fort Sill changed the rules on hunting with muzzleloaders a few years ago because military retirees were killing too many deer in the two week muzzleloader season. Active duty soldiers, unable to hunt during the work week, were getting short changed. As a result only conventional muzzleloaders may be used. No fire sights, no scopes, no sabots. Conicals or round balls only are allowed.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:16 AM
Banned

Traditional or inline, all new shooters need someone to help guide them along the way. I've got 2 new traditional shooters under my belt this year. One of them was my shooting partner at the last rendezvous.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:13 PM
Spike

What don't help matters any, are that the clowns are running the circus. Scaring all the youngsters away, and discouraging talented New inline shooters at Friendship.

No different than the old traditional bowhunters that are stuck in their ways. I know, because I used to be one of them. And it takes one, to know one!

Get the clowns out of there, and things will change. That, or it will die an appropriate slow death, as the clowns suck the life out of it.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:22 PM
Banned

inline/talent do not belong in the same sentence

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.