HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   More on slip fit conicals (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/414228-more-slip-fit-conicals.html)

bronko22000 06-09-2017 04:13 PM

More on slip fit conicals

I was discussing this with 1874Sharpshooter via PMs and I had sized some of my .458" 405 grain cast bullets down to .451". I was shooting them out of my T/C Hawken with its GM LRH (1:30) barrel and boy did they shoot well. The load was 70 gr of Goex FFFg and I used a felt wad under the bullet. I tried a couple without the wad and they seemed to spread out a bit more. The first 3 were only shot at 25 yards because I didn't have the sights adjusted and the rifle put all 3 into a cloverleaf. At 50 yards I had 2 touching and one just out of the group. This is with open sights. I'm going to re-install my peep sight on the rifle and size some more bullets. This definitely shows some promise as a great accurate game bullet.
The only drawback on that is that brass butt plate and that heavy bullet make for a pretty good bump on the shoulder. My 1895s and Sharps with heavier loads don't have near as much felt recoil as the Hawken.

toytruck 06-09-2017 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4307435)
I was discussing this with 1874Sharpshooter via PMs and I had sized some of my .458" 405 grain cast bullets down to .451". I was shooting them out of my T/C Hawken with its GM LRH (1:30) barrel and boy did they shoot well. The load was 70 gr of Goex FFFg and I used a felt wad under the bullet. I tried a couple without the wad and they seemed to spread out a bit more. The first 3 were only shot at 25 yards because I didn't have the sights adjusted and the rifle put all 3 into a cloverleaf. At 50 yards I had 2 touching and one just out of the group. This is with open sights. I'm going to re-install my peep sight on the rifle and size some more bullets. This definitely shows some promise as a great accurate game bullet.
The only drawback on that is that brass butt plate and that heavy bullet make for a pretty good bump on the shoulder. My 1895s and Sharps with heavier loads don't have near as much felt recoil as the Hawken.

How did they load? Need a short starter or thumb start? I have a .45 GM LRH Renegade barrel (same as Semi), haven't shot it yet, but will someday. Hopefully...

bronko22000 06-10-2017 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by toytruck (Post 4307439)
How did they load? Need a short starter or thumb start? I have a .45 GM LRH Renegade barrel (same as Semi), haven't shot it yet, but will someday. Hopefully...

They are a slip fit. They start easily with only the thumb and with only slight resistance going down the bore.
Although these shoot very well out to 50 yards. I want to push them out to 100. But to do that I'll have to take a weed whacker out with me and cut a lane down the field where I shoot.
I also want to re-watch Ron's video on paper patching and try that.

1874sharpsshooter 06-10-2017 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4307467)
They are a slip fit. They start easily with only the thumb and with only slight resistance going down the bore.
Although these shoot very well out to 50 yards. I want to push them out to 100. But to do that I'll have to take a weed whacker out with me and cut a lane down the field where I shoot.
I also want to re-watch Ron's video on paper patching and try that.

Depending on your barrel you will probably need to size them down to .442 or .444 to paper patch them . Pm me your address and I can send you some linen paper rather than onion skin .

Semisane 06-10-2017 02:51 PM

Bronko, how difficult were they to size down to .451? Are you able to do it in one step, or do you need an intermediate sizing step to something between .458 and .451? How did you lube them, and with what?

cayugad 06-10-2017 03:41 PM

I cast the same bullet out of pure lead. And they come out of the mold as .457-8 and if I lube them well, I can run them through my .451 in one shot.

bronko22000 06-10-2017 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Semisane (Post 4307488)
Bronko, how difficult were they to size down to .451? Are you able to do it in one step, or do you need an intermediate sizing step to something between .458 and .451? How did you lube them, and with what?

Semi - I lubed them with Cabela's bullet and patch lube and they go through the .451 sizer with no trouble. I'm going to be trying some paper patching so I will need to go down to .446 per Ron and Chet's instruction. Then I guess after they get wrapped with the paper I will run them through the .451" die.
All the years I shot muzzys this is the first time I'm trying this paper patch stuff. I don't even know if I need to lube the paper before shooting or not. I'm sure it will definitely reduce any leading.