Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Praise the 300 XTP >

Praise the 300 XTP

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Praise the 300 XTP

Old 06-09-2017, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Praise the 300 XTP

For years i never looked at this bullet. Always used the Deep Curl for hunting, and practicing. These days now, the Deep Curl is unavailable for purchase; i looked at other bullets. Prior to this past hunting season, i sighted in my rifles with two bullets. The plan was to use a well thought of tipped bullet, because it was accurate. However, as season neared, i began leaning toward using the XTP, because it seemed more consistent/ accurate. Because our son was to join me for the hunt, i readied two rifles. The two rifles shot the 300 XTP, 75 (weighed) grain Blackhorn, black crush rib, W209 primer. The two rifles were equipped with 1X glass, as per regulation. The same load was accurate in each rifle.

The boy killed a deer first at 157 yard, using the X7 with 1X glass. Strangely the 300 XTP didn't hit much of anything. The bullet hit behind the diaphragm, kinda hit stomach, and went through the diaphragm, hit no lung, and exited. The deer went up some, and fell over. When we reached the deer it was dead. When he gutted it, there was no blood in the chest. It sure puzzled me what killed the deer. It seemed the deer had no vital injury. We decided the deer couldn't breath, because of the hole in the diaphragm........

About three weeks later, using the same rifle, i gut hit a deer with the 300 XTP, at about 100 yard. It ran off a short distance, and fell down; i thought it was dead. When i was ten feet away, it got up, and ran off; wow was i surprised. It ran a short ways down to the bottom, and up the other side a short distance, where it quit. Another hit by the XTP; the deer expired. Thinking about it, i was impressed the bullet hurt the deer so badly with such a poor hit. Two deer, two poor hits, two deer in the freezer, 300 XTP.........

This morning i had an opportunity to shoot the bullet out 200 yard with negligible breeze. The rifle was the rust pitted Omega with a 2.5-8 scope mounted. The load was 300 XTP, 60 (weighed) grain Blackhorn, black crush rib sabot, W209 primer. Elevation is about 4600 feet. Temperature was about 60 degree. First shot of three was from a clean cold barrel. Range was about exactly 200 yard.

______
Old 06-09-2017, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great shoot'n!

When we first started having a few sabots available, I used the 300gr XTP from a Knight MK85 with what we could find and it just hammered whitetails.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

So, if we want to take gut shots we should use the 300gr XTP?
Old 06-09-2017, 02:46 PM
Dominant Buck

I always liked that bullet. for accuracy. I do like the .44 caliber .430 model and they shoot real good in most my rifles.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

I too am a fan of the 300 gr XTP in both the .44 and the .45 calibers. I could not notice a difference in accuracy between the two. And I used the green and black CR sabots also. The shot good out of my Accura and my GM LRH barreled sidelocks.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

Darn good shootin Ron! Glad I'm not the only one to hit the target frame...cept the .451 430gr. White conical went through the right front leg!!
Old 06-09-2017, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is a hit on the lower left, the upper right, and the bottom horizontal all thread needed replacing not long ago.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
There is a hit on the lower left, the upper right, and the bottom horizontal all thread needed replacing not long ago.
Look on the bright side, your shoot'n is improving
Old 06-09-2017, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
Look on the bright side, your shoot'n is improving
HaHa! I still don't know why I hit my right target frame leg. The first shot was far right so I adjusted left, or thought I did, second shot was in same place...more adjustment to left and then I hit the leg. Crapola...shot went through left jagged edges to boot. I was shooting a White Model 97 in .451 finally got the group to move left and 1/2 inch high at 25yds. just wanted to get it on paper for the grandson so he had a place to start.

Next day I took a hack saw an cut off the sharp edges an wrapped the hole in camo duck tape, at least it won't cut me again...
Old 06-09-2017, 06:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's very good shooting.

There are three 300 grain XTP bullets: The .430, the .452 XTP and the .452 XTP magnum. All three are excellent bullets. i get the best accuracy from the 300 grain .430 XTP. All three bullets knock the stuffing out of 300+ pound hogs.

Which bullet are you using?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.