HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   No Excuses for the Apple Jack (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/414189-no-excuses-apple-jack.html)

1874sharpsshooter 06-07-2017 08:20 PM

No Excuses for the Apple Jack

The bedding job was complete on the Disc 1:20 So i decided to get her out and see how she did

80 gr Pyrodex p
.060 veggie wad
777 primers
460 gr No Excuses ( they were loose)
Swfa 12x scope
Lehigh conversion bare primer plug
100 yards

I started off real good once I got it sighted in

But then I fell apart .not sure what happened .barrel was pretty warm but I think it was me more than anything. Gonna try another day ,hopefully I will try some of Ed's 465's :)
Pretty bad group , vertical string made me think it was me rather than hot or dirty barrel but I took her home and cleaned her good .

MountainDevil54 06-07-2017 08:39 PM

thats a cute and nice shooting pink rifle! Pretty soon, we'll start callin you cupcake when we see you carrying that rifle around :D

bronko22000 06-08-2017 05:36 AM

That's not pink...that's fuchsia! Anyway. I wouldn't make fun of anyone who has a rifle that shoots that good unless you can run and hide really fast.

Muley Hunter 06-08-2017 05:40 AM

Cupcake doesn' scare me. :p

cayugad 06-08-2017 06:56 AM

This is just me mind you. One reason I shoot Triple Seven 2f is I get less of that stringing. Did you swab at all? There are times when my Whites will start to string like that and a swab will calm them down. To me, that is good shooting.

Is the White Whitetail I own in .451 ... that is 1-20 twist also. Right?

1874sharpsshooter 06-08-2017 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by cayugad (Post 4307235)
This is just me mind you. One reason I shoot Triple Seven 2f is I get less of that stringing. Did you swab at all? There are times when my Whites will start to string like that and a swab will calm them down. To me, that is good shooting.

Is the White Whitetail I own in .451 ... that is 1-20 twist also. Right?

Yes the white is a 1:20 . I swabbed after every shot . I might try 777 2 f next time and see what happens .

cayugad 06-08-2017 07:25 AM

When I first got my White I used Pyrodex P like everyone suggested. And don't get me wrong it worked really good. Then one day, I took out 2f Triple Seven and tired that in that fast twist. I never went back to the Pyrodex. 65 grains of T-7 is really accurate. Now you make me want to get out the .451 again.

By the way, I like that stock. It stands out!

Muley Hunter 06-08-2017 08:27 AM

Is standing out good for hunting?

1874sharpsshooter 06-08-2017 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 4307243)
Is standing out good for hunting?

From 300 or 400 yards away they will never notice :)

Muley Hunter 06-08-2017 09:44 AM

Not sure. Lopes have good eyes. :)

BarnesAddict 06-08-2017 10:38 AM

Question..........

How do you like the top on that Stable Table?

I tried shooting off mine once, then made my own cutout top.

1874sharpsshooter 06-08-2017 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict (Post 4307265)
Question..........

How do you like the top on that Stable Table?

I tried shooting off mine once, then made my own cutout top.

I actually don't have anything to compare it to . I never shot off a bench til last year. My wife got me that for a birthday present so I been using it . It's the first bench I ever had . For 30 years I just shot using the hood of my truck , sticks or a bipod . Seems nice but sometimes I think standing using the truck hood is calling me back . :)

BarnesAddict 06-08-2017 01:40 PM

You can see the angle I cut into a 3/4" piece of plywood. I cut a place for my arm to rest also. Actually with the original top, I added a piece of board to rest my elbow on first, then just grabbed the piece of plywood and started marking.
I really like the Caldwell Stable Table. More so now that the top is more like I like it.

First pic is the addition of the elbow rest...

WV Hunter 06-09-2017 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict (Post 4307287)
You can see the angle I cut into a 3/4" piece of plywood. I cut a place for my arm to rest also. Actually with the original top, I added a piece of board to rest my elbow on first, then just grabbed the piece of plywood and started marking.
I really like the Caldwell Stable Table. More so now that the top is more like I like it.

First pic is the addition of the elbow rest...

I like that. Based on the configuration of the base and how it mounts up, do you think you could make a plywood top that would be ambidextrous - and would it work and be stable? (I don't know what the underside looks like, not sure how much if any modification would be needed to support a bigger top)
Would be great to have one of these at our cabin... but need something for both hand shooters, as we have 2 lefties in our group.

Nice shooting 1874, and that Super is a looker now :cool2:
If/when folks are making fun of your pink rifle, you knock em dead at 300 and shut em up! :happy0001:

BarnesAddict 06-09-2017 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by WV Hunter (Post 4307363)
I like that. Based on the configuration of the base and how it mounts up, do you think you could make a plywood top that would be ambidextrous - and would it work and be stable? (I don't know what the underside looks like, not sure how much if any modification would be needed to support a bigger top)
Would be great to have one of these at our cabin... but need something for both hand shooters, as we have 2 lefties in our group.

Nice shooting 1874, and that Super is a looker now :cool2:
If/when folks are making fun of your pink rifle, you knock em dead at 300 and shut em up! :happy0001:

All one would have to do is to use some type of quick fastener/wing nut and just flip the top (plywood) over. There's 4 fasteners holding it. Never thought about a single ambidextrous top, but its definitely possible. I'd drill additional holes and add a bolt to each side. I'm sure it would remain "stable". I'm extremely satisfied with the table now that I created a different top. Not sure you could find a more solid portable and fully adjustable bench.

WV Hunter 06-09-2017 04:34 AM

Thanks, good info. If you ever get a chance and don't mind, could you take a pic of the underside of it? No hurry, I'd just like to see what it looks like prior to purchasing one. I'd have to order it, nobody around carries benches that I can go look at.

I like the configuration, to me that adjustable seat seems to be a huge advantage. I have a very hard time getting comfortable on our makeshift sorry a$$ shooting setup that we have now. Thus, I know I'm not shooting quite as well as I could. The times I've shot off a good setup I've done much better.

BarnesAddict 06-09-2017 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by WV Hunter (Post 4307365)
Thanks, good info. If you ever get a chance and don't mind, could you take a pic of the underside of it?..............

The pieces:

Photo below shows the table level adjustment on the back leg.......

Note the difference? This is actually the current top I have on it. I eliminated the "bump" and made it a straight line. Easier on the ol'gut. LOL

WV Hunter 06-09-2017 08:12 AM

Hey that is awesome! Thank you!!! :)
Yeah, I like that straight line better too! I see one of those in our future... and I like the wing nut idea. Keep it simple!