Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
No Excuses for the Apple Jack >

No Excuses for the Apple Jack

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

No Excuses for the Apple Jack

Old 06-08-2017, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question..........

How do you like the top on that Stable Table?

I tried shooting off mine once, then made my own cutout top.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:39 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
Question..........

How do you like the top on that Stable Table?

I tried shooting off mine once, then made my own cutout top.
I actually don't have anything to compare it to . I never shot off a bench til last year. My wife got me that for a birthday present so I been using it . It's the first bench I ever had . For 30 years I just shot using the hood of my truck , sticks or a bipod . Seems nice but sometimes I think standing using the truck hood is calling me back .
Old 06-08-2017, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can see the angle I cut into a 3/4" piece of plywood. I cut a place for my arm to rest also. Actually with the original top, I added a piece of board to rest my elbow on first, then just grabbed the piece of plywood and started marking.
I really like the Caldwell Stable Table. More so now that the top is more like I like it.

First pic is the addition of the elbow rest...

Old 06-09-2017, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
You can see the angle I cut into a 3/4" piece of plywood. I cut a place for my arm to rest also. Actually with the original top, I added a piece of board to rest my elbow on first, then just grabbed the piece of plywood and started marking.
I really like the Caldwell Stable Table. More so now that the top is more like I like it.

First pic is the addition of the elbow rest...

I like that. Based on the configuration of the base and how it mounts up, do you think you could make a plywood top that would be ambidextrous - and would it work and be stable? (I don't know what the underside looks like, not sure how much if any modification would be needed to support a bigger top)
Would be great to have one of these at our cabin... but need something for both hand shooters, as we have 2 lefties in our group.

Nice shooting 1874, and that Super is a looker now
If/when folks are making fun of your pink rifle, you knock em dead at 300 and shut em up!
Old 06-09-2017, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
I like that. Based on the configuration of the base and how it mounts up, do you think you could make a plywood top that would be ambidextrous - and would it work and be stable? (I don't know what the underside looks like, not sure how much if any modification would be needed to support a bigger top)
Would be great to have one of these at our cabin... but need something for both hand shooters, as we have 2 lefties in our group.

Nice shooting 1874, and that Super is a looker now
If/when folks are making fun of your pink rifle, you knock em dead at 300 and shut em up!
All one would have to do is to use some type of quick fastener/wing nut and just flip the top (plywood) over. There's 4 fasteners holding it. Never thought about a single ambidextrous top, but its definitely possible. I'd drill additional holes and add a bolt to each side. I'm sure it would remain "stable". I'm extremely satisfied with the table now that I created a different top. Not sure you could find a more solid portable and fully adjustable bench.

Last edited by BarnesAddict; 06-09-2017 at 04:22 AM.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, good info. If you ever get a chance and don't mind, could you take a pic of the underside of it? No hurry, I'd just like to see what it looks like prior to purchasing one. I'd have to order it, nobody around carries benches that I can go look at.

I like the configuration, to me that adjustable seat seems to be a huge advantage. I have a very hard time getting comfortable on our makeshift sorry a$$ shooting setup that we have now. Thus, I know I'm not shooting quite as well as I could. The times I've shot off a good setup I've done much better.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Thanks, good info. If you ever get a chance and don't mind, could you take a pic of the underside of it?..............
The pieces:

Photo below shows the table level adjustment on the back leg.......

Note the difference? This is actually the current top I have on it. I eliminated the "bump" and made it a straight line. Easier on the ol'gut. LOL

Old 06-09-2017, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey that is awesome! Thank you!!!
Yeah, I like that straight line better too! I see one of those in our future... and I like the wing nut idea. Keep it simple!