Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Appollo

Old 11-09-2003, 06:07 PM
Spike

Default CVA Appollo

I' m looking to getting one of these black powder rifles in a trade.

I know nothing about the CVA or blackpowder and am asking the folks here about this perticular model.

I looked at CVA' s web site and nothing was available nor did they respond to questions asked to them by me.

Is this a good started?
I understand its a inline.
What was its value new?
What is a good load?
Does it take the shotgun primers?
Will it stand up to those pyrodex pellets of powder?
How many will it stand up to?
Whats the best way of checking it out to make sure its a good clean rifle?
Any help here will be greatly appreciated
Anything that I may not have asked that can be of value on this rifle dont hesitate to address.

Thanks

Old 11-10-2003, 05:58 AM

Default RE: CVA Appollo

I have a CVA Ultra Firebolt and have not looked at the Apollo. I can not answer your questions since I not familiar with that rifle. What I can tell you is this, read and read some more. Ask a friend, look at this site and see what people have recommended. My Firebolt shoots great and I enjoy the inline and scope. I am going to try a new bullet and load.

Good luck....

Tomster
Old 11-10-2003, 04:44 PM
Spike

tomster,

I guess not having seen it or know what it looks like,I' m kinda at his grace.
Is it alot like tyhe firebolt?
How about the cost any idea?

Thanks

Paul
Old 11-10-2003, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

A few years back I was given a CVA Appollo. It was before I had bought a inline. I never did shoot it,since I had bought a Knight disc shortly after receiving the CVA.I returned it to the original owner, Then it was given to a buddy in Illinois.He' s shot it some and says it shoots well.When I received the Appollo it was missing the owners manual. CVA sent me one. I asked while I was talking to them about this Appollo. It' s a discontinued model. It appeared to be well made and for CVA' s customer service they are very reliable.Granted it' s not a top of the line inline but quite suitable for hunting.If I remember correctly 80 or 100 grains of powder is a max load.I would double check that before shooting the 100 grains. I know it' s not rated for the 150 grain charge.For a beginners rifle it' s a good choice.I would guessimate 100.00 in good condition would be a fair price.I would check with CVA and see the availability of parts for this discontinued model. I beleive they carry CVA' s Lifetime Warranty.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 11-10-2003, 07:01 PM
Spike

Thank You Ruger
you' ve been helpfull

Thanks

Paul
Old 11-10-2003, 07:22 PM

Man, you brought back some memories with that post. I bought one about 12 years ago when they first came out. I think I gave about $259 to $279 plus tax for it new. Mine had a blued barrel with a chrome lined bore. It also had a black wooden stock. It was one of the best shooting smokepoles I' ve ever owned. I killed a pile of deer with that gun! My brother bought a used one a year later for $200. I Shot hornady XTP 240 or 300 grain .44 cal bullets with 100 grains of FFg
black powder.

>>>---DAVIDP---SILERCITY,NC--->
Old 11-11-2003, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

You' re welcome Texas BowHunter, Glad I could pass some information your way.I think you' ll do just fine with a CVA.Once you see if you like black powder shooting you can upgrade to a better rifle.Enjoy it and good luck with it.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 11-14-2003, 01:08 AM
Typical Buck

CVA had or has a recall on the Apollo muzzleloaders. I think it only effected the Apollo' s with serial numbers starting with the first 2 digits of 95 and 96. The recall was about something concerning the breech plug? But I am not 100% sure. Check out CVA' s website for further info to see if that Apollo is effected by the recall. Sorry I don' t have the web address.

I have a buddy that bought one when they first came out. I believe the max load called for 75 or 80 grains of Pyrodex with a 300gr bullet with sabot. He settled on a load a tad hotter than that, 100grains of Pyrodex and a saboted 300gr XTP. It shot good, and safe for several years, but he got another muzzlelaoder and hasn' t shot his Apollo in about 6 or 7 years now. Still looks brand new.
Old 11-14-2003, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.cva.com/docs/recall.htm