Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

.54 Lyman GPR

Old 06-01-2017, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default .54 Lyman GPR

I was able to aquire a flinter .54 Lyman GPR not too long ago and will hopefully be able to get it out to the range here shortly.

I'm not too crazy about the buckhorn sight, has anyone had any luck with something else? Perhaps a peep?

Also, while I have your attention, any recommendations on what to start out with as far as loads go? I already have a few pounds of Goes in various flavors so I'd prefer to stick with that.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:58 AM
Banned

80gr - 100gr 2f, .018" - .020" patch with a .530" round ball.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Lyman makes a peep sight that bolts right on.

I'd get some .015 patches too just in case. I had a couple of them that was hard to get a .018 patch down the bore.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:13 PM
Dominant Buck

I shoot that rifle with 90 grains of 2f Schuetzen black powder and a .530 round ball with a .018 patch. Excellent load. That is my hunting load also.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:14 PM
Dominant Buck

As for the sight, once I got used to them I really discovered I like them. But there are peep sights you can get to put on that rifle.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info guys, that gives me somewhere to start and play around with.

Cayugad, I guess I'll try to demonstrate a little patience and see how it/I shoot before I make any changes to the buckhorn sight.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:29 AM
Dominant Buck

It is funny but after my cataract surgery, where they put long range lens in my eyes, the sights on my Great Plains Rifle and Great Plains Hunter, along with my Trade Rifles are some of the favorite sights I use.

That garden stake was a case where my new rifle showed up at the house. And the snow was about three feet deep that year. That stake stuck up about four feet. And I wanted to shoot! So I loaded up the Great Plains rifle with round ball ... leaning into the back door frame, that stake was about 25-30 yards away. And I started shooting at it. I cut the top of it off and then shot that center group through the thing. Needless to say, 30 yards is not all that far but in reality, where I hunt that is an average distance shot I get. I think right out of the box that rifle would have gave a deer a bad day.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:56 AM
Banned

yep I like the non adjustable rear sight on the GPR. I installed one on my traditions when I cut the dovetail. I however took it to the range first to figure out where to place it so it was perfectly clear for my eye. That is the best sight set up i have on any muzzleloader to date.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

I really liked the way my Lyman GPR flinter shot but no matter what I did the ignition was not reliable. I tried putting a pick in the vent when I charged it. I tried tapping the stock to get the powder against the vent. Banking the powder in the pan and even drilling out the vent's flash hole bigger.
But the straw that broke the camel's back was when I snuck up on 3 bedded deer in about 4" of new fallen snow, drew a bead on the biggest one and when the hammer dropped the pan ignited but not the charge! They all stood up and looked at me while I grabbed my pan charger and recharged my pan. Then they took off when I shouldered the rifle.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:52 PM
Dominant Buck

I did change out all the vent liners in my Lyman Rifles to RMC vent touch hole liners. I got the Allen Head style. Easier to remove and I think I will not swear, might be a hair bigger vent hole. I have no ignition problems. Also some rifles are real picky where you put your primer pan powder. Are you to the outside of the pan edge or tight to the inside of the pan? Some rifles care, others don't.

http://www.rmcoxyoke.com/inc/sdetail...ments/10095/84

These are the ones I replace the Lymans with. While on their site I was looking at current prices for some items. Wow! am I glad I stock piled when I did.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.