HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Omega and Remington (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/414049-omega-remington.html)

1874sharpsshooter 05-31-2017 02:58 PM

Omega and Remington

Interesting results. Same load in both guns. bullets sized the same but they were a little harder to load in the Remington so I am going to size them down about 1/2 of 1000th I think for next trip out.
this was just a quick shoot to get a feel for the gun . I didn't have much time .
took me 3 shots to get it close, then I shot a group, then one final scope adjustment and called it quits . What was interesting was the target groups .

Omega 5 shot group , open sights 100 yards

then final scope adjustment and one last shot

Remington , same load but scoped at 100 yards

3 shot group

final scope adjustment and one shot

Remington has a 1:18 Brux barrel
Omega a 1:18 Douglas bull barrel
Both guns are Bestill Creations guns.
Now all I got to do is work up the right load and practice a little and those groups should tighten up . I think I will be ready come hunting season. ;)

cayugad 05-31-2017 03:14 PM

That is some excellent shooting with both rifles. very impressive shooting.

ronlaughlin 05-31-2017 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter (Post 4306443)
..............Omega 5 shot group , open sights 100 yards.................;)

Great shooting!! Perhaps i don't correctly recall the sights on the Omega, but if i correctly recall, both the front, and rear sights are 'closed' sights........... :D

1874sharpsshooter 05-31-2017 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin (Post 4306453)
Great shooting!! Perhaps i don't correctly recall the sights on the Omega, but if i correctly recall, both the front, and rear sights are 'closed' sights........... :D

Rear peep and front aperture ....:). That better ?
Either way it's the first time I shot with peep sight as good as I did with a scope !!

ronlaughlin 05-31-2017 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter (Post 4306459)
.......it's the first time I shot with peep sight as good as I did with a scope !!

Agree it is remarkable. Considering your advanced age, it is remarkably remarkable. What is the load?

1874sharpsshooter 05-31-2017 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin (Post 4306468)
Agree it is remarkable. Considering your advanced age, it is remarkably remarkable. What is the load?

270e max sabotless, federal 209 primer, 130 gr Blackhorn
But both barrels are custom barrels so that hot of a load is not a problem .....except for my shoulder :). I am going to go down and see if I still get good obturation on the Parkers .Might try 110 next time out .these are the flat based not hollow base so I pushed them enough just to make sure .

bronko22000 06-01-2017 06:07 AM

I always said that I could shoot a peep as well as a scope out to 50 yards. Not so sure I can do it at 100 though. That's good shooting for sure.

cayugad 06-01-2017 06:59 AM

On a sunny bright day, when I shot a T/C peep on a Renegade I was impressive out to lets say 50 yards. But get me in the woods, deep in the alder thickets with waning early evening light ... man it was hard to see through that thing. I know I could have pulled the center aperture but my luck is, I would have lost it.

That is a heck of a load! I can see why your shoulder noticed. With my bad shoulders I have found anything over 100 grains can actually (with the wrong rifle) be painful.