Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Can't shoot

Old 06-01-2017, 06:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Muley are you sure that's legal? I don't believe you can do that here in the woods of PA (state forests). That is what is called "shooting at random". I know its definitely illegal during hunting season.
I often commented "That in all the years I've hunted I never even saw a random. I don't even know what one looks like!"
Old 06-01-2017, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, it legal here. I've been doing it for decades.

I also have some private property I can and do use half the time.

Last edited by Muley Hunter; 06-01-2017 at 06:28 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:46 AM
Dominant Buck

One reason I purchased property and made my own shooting range. Today is in the 70's I hope to get out and shoot. Been saving milk jugs for a while to play with. I want to see how a .58 caliber ball goes through them.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I always wanted to find a cabin to live in up in the mountains. I just can't find anything I can rent from someone. That would be ideal to just walk out your door and go hunting/shooting. I only have a mile to go now, but it's not the same.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have had evening thunderstorms so get plenty of time early in the day to shoot. My problem is I spend the early part of the day either at work or coaching baseball on the weekends.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

I go to our cabin every chance I get. Muley you'd love it. A 15' x 30' cabin basicallyl in the middle of the woods. We're 5 miles in any direction from any civilization except for the dirt road that passes by about 100 or so yards away that gets very little traffic. No elec or running water. Now we have a generator and some lighting but we still use propane lanterns and cook on a propane stove most of the time.
And up until a few years ago we had an outhouse. Today, because of local township rules our "outhouse" is a modern compost toilet instead of a hole in the ground with a seat 4 walls and a roof. Its really a dumb law because when the buckets are full and dried out it is simply compost mixed with peat moss. I believe this law was more of a money maker and not an enviornmental concern because the earth is a natural filter and an outhouse does absolutely no harm.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, i'd love it.

I'm always looking and asking. Maybe i'll get lucky and find something before I turn into a bears lunch.

I'd live in a sturdy wall tent if I could, but the law here says I can't do that for more than a week. I'd build a small cabin, but I can't do that either unless the property is grandfathered in.

I'm always in the mountains looking for cabins, elk scouting, and fly fishing creeks. I love it up there.

I found this one, but it's a little rough.

I worked hard at getting this one, but he changed his mind at the last minute.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
You're not the only one that can't shoot
Although here in northern MI we've had weather to shoot, the docs won't let me shoot until one of my medical conditions is resolved. Hopefully tomorrow! At least if they get that taken care of, I can shoot. The range is dry so we can drive to the targets and not have to walk, which is the second medical issue needing resolution, scoping.
"Old age is golden. They just don't tell you its fool's gold".
Yahoo! Doc gave the ok to shoot today.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Excellent!
Old 06-01-2017, 05:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's great Barnes...
Hey Muley that first cabin just needs a bit of sweeping up and it should be just fine!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.