Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Peep and long range practice >

Peep and long range practice

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Peep and long range practice

Old 05-28-2017, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default Peep and long range practice

Gonna try to see if I can bang a gong at 300 yards and beyond ( 15 inch gong ) with a peep sight . My old eyes are not good anymore but I am going to work at it and see . For this experiment I am going to use my 1:18 twist Coyote Omega and shoot 270 emax bullets sabotless . I have a Lyman 90 MJT rear sight with a Lipski quick release base that mounts on scope rail . For the front I have a PhoenixPrecision with a Centra 22 mm Iris with 2.0 to 4.5 aperture .
Load will be 130 gr by volume blackhorn 209

Old 05-28-2017, 08:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Good luck! That target is going to look really small at 300 yards. Should be interesting.

Years ago I purchased a T/C Black Mountain Magnum .50 caliber. Those rifles even though traditional in style basically have a T/C Omega barrel on them. They have a 1-28 twist that I discovered must be swabbed between shots. But I threw a scope on it. I was shooting some impressive groups with it at 100 yards. But never thought of 300 yards. If a person was shooting a 200 grain Shockwave 40 caliber with 100 grains of black powder ... what would you guess would be the hold over at that kind of distance? Out of curiosity.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cayugad
Good luck! That target is going to look really small at 300 yards. Should be interesting.

Years ago I purchased a T/C Black Mountain Magnum .50 caliber. Those rifles even though traditional in style basically have a T/C Omega barrel on them. They have a 1-28 twist that I discovered must be swabbed between shots. But I threw a scope on it. I was shooting some impressive groups with it at 100 yards. But never thought of 300 yards. If a person was shooting a 200 grain Shockwave 40 caliber with 100 grains of black powder ... what would you guess would be the hold over at that kind of distance? Out of curiosity.
I have actually shot that load and hold over is 40 inches
Old 05-29-2017, 06:18 AM
Dominant Buck

40 inches ... wow! I personally guess 3 feet from some ballistic charts I ran. So that would be real close. The wind must really effect something that light that travels that far. Good luck on your shooting. I can't wait to see the results of your attempt.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

That should be fun Sharpsshooter. At that range you will have time after the shot to remove your earmuffs to hear the gong.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Semisane
That should be fun Sharpsshooter. At that range you will have time after the shot to remove your earmuffs to hear the gong.
Yep, but my hearing ain't much better than my eyes it might make me flinch cause that steel gong sounds a lot like a cast iron frying pan the ol lady might use on me if she finds out I am expecting a new baby
Old 05-29-2017, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

well I made it out to the pasture .And came home a happy camper even though I didn't shoot very far. I only shot at 100 yards because the wind was so atrocious. I was happy with the results though. considering how bad my eyes are getting plus I haven't been shooting open sights much lately for that very reason. Needless to say I am going back to open sights and practice a lot more . Maybe There are a few more years left in the eyes after all.
Coyote Omega 1:18 twist with peep sight
130 gr Blackhorn
270 E max sabotless with .060 veggie wad and sized
federal 209 primer
I cleaned after each shot.

first shot

3 shot group

5 shot group

now when it isn't so windy it is time to move back to 200
Old 05-29-2017, 03:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Wow that is some very impressive shooting. Were you holding dead center bull?
Old 05-29-2017, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cayugad
Wow that is some very impressive shooting. Were you holding dead center bull?
Yes with front aperture opened to 3.5
Old 05-29-2017, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

Nice group. At 50 my eyes sure aren't what they used to be and shooting open sights is getting more difficult by the minute. Aperture sights have really helped me and that is one dandy looking setup you have there sir. Dad had to completely stop even trying open sights around my age and went to aperture for a few years then to completely relying on scopes. Looks like my vision is traveling the same path. Can't read without 1.5x reading glasses and buckhorns look like a fuzzy ball.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.