Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Longer ranges 1:48 twist? >

Longer ranges 1:48 twist?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Longer ranges 1:48 twist?

Old 05-27-2017, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default Longer ranges 1:48 twist?

I see a lot of guys are pushing longer ranges(300yards+) with their muzzleloaders.
Will a 1:48 twist rifle be able to that distances too? Opinions...
I have a as-new Bobcat sidelock, a safe-queen for many years on which I fitted a scope yesterday. I'm wondering what she can do say up to 300yards. If possible I would then build a wooden stock with bedding etc...
I have the following bullets available: SST 250gr in their original packaging, .490 roundball and then I also cast a 330gr conical used in a Crushrib Sabot(black type).
I bought a Lee 457-450-F mold and shortened it, it now casts a 330gr bullet(pure lead) which I use in my 1.28 faster twist muzzleloader with a Crushrib sabot. At this stage I dont want to bother with that combo, up to 120yards its a lazer with deadly punch!!
I want to use the Bobcat, its a shame that it only stands in the safe.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

These guys that push the envelope with their muzzys have had a lot of practice doing so. 300 yards is a heck of a way to send a bullet for the average shooter. And with the muzzly its even more difficult to hit something that far out. IMO your 1:28 stands a much better chance of acceptable accuracy at that range. But by no means should you leave the Bobcat in the safe. I'd find a good accurate load for it and keep your range limit to about 150 yards.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:18 AM
Dominant Buck

For many years (I sold it) I had a .54 caliber Mountain Stalker. That is a Cabela's Bobcat. Same rifle. In fact the box called it a bobcat. It was a round ball shooting machine. But I never found the right sabot combination for it. Besides, a .54 caliber round ball was bad medicine. It is/was a great rifle for what I paid for it. Should have bought three or four of them at that time for the price.

And while a round ball, especially on a scoped rifle, would be a 125 yard weapon in good hands... I just don't see it shooting 300 yards. Not in my hands anyway. But it would be fun to try. There are verified accounts of round ball shoots in the Revolutionary war shooting 300 yards at man size (British officers mostly) targets. And hitting them. And that was with open sights.

Last edited by cayugad; 05-27-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not a good idea.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for bursting my bubble, ha-ha! Only meant as a joke.
Guess I'll use it then for shorter ranges as suggested and used the faster twist for the longer shots.
Will hopefully try it on some warthog if all works out, rigged a old Honda XL185 as a hunting vehicle and maybe with the Bobcat and open sights. Also found some 240gr XTP's when I spoke to my hunting buddy a few minutes ago, planning our hunt on the bikes.