Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Need advice from yall >

Need advice from yall

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need advice from yall

Old 06-02-2017, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

The 245 Powerbelts are a tad light for big game hunting... The 270 Platinums and 250 Aerolites are awesome on whitetails and hogs up to around 200 pounds.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm definitely with Cayugad on the use (or non-use) of Bh209. I have the correct BP too. I just don't feel the benefits justify the price. My flinters use Goex BP, and my caplocks use the same or Pyrodex P or RS depending on the caliber. My inline has been getting fed Alliant Black MZ and I'm really satisfied with it. IMO it shoots almost as clean as BH at about 1/3 the price. Using that and a 295 gr Barnes T-EZ last year I took 3 whitetails and a nice hog. All but one deer was DRT.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Muzzleloaders should shoot black powder. No matter what the ignition system is. I'm using Swiss in the Accura MR. I like the smell, smoke, and accuracy of BP. It even has it's own unique boom to it. It also has the lowest ignition temperature of any powder. It always goes off.

What's not to like? Dirty? Bah, muzzleloaders are dirty. Shoot a CF rifle if you want clean.

Be a muzzleloader hunter. Make big booms. Make big smoke. Make big smiles.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

To each their own Pete. I enjoy black powder myself but some guys don't. Or they don't like to swab between shots. Personally, I don't mind it.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

CF guns need no swabbing.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Actually, i'm whining because stores don't carry real BP anymore like they used to. Everybody buys the fake crap, so why should they? So, we're left with buying it online and paying the Hazmat fee and shipping. It sucks!

Old coots don't like things that suck in their life.

Ok, i'm done. Carry on.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

You can't get your local store to get it in for you Muley Hunter? Mine always orders up a couple of pounds of Swiss from his distributor/supplier for me and a couple of other guys that like making smoke. Most distributors carry Swiss with other brands from what they tell me so it isn't like it costs them anything extra to have a couple of cans in the order thrown in. I haven't burnt any Goex in several years but I have been looking close at that newer Old Eynsford and the way Mr. Bronkowski has been advertising that Black MZ stuff I may take a look at that as well. I like Swiss because of it's consistency which so far is unmatched by anything else on the market today from my experience in real black powder.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

The ones i've asked weren't interested. They said they have to be setup for it by having a big safe to store it. That could be a Colorado thing. I'm not sure.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

OE is really close to Swiss in quality and performance. Its gaining popularity very rapidly in competition shooting. Its $4 cheaper than Swiss and $7 cheaper than BlackMZ around here.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 06-18-2017 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, it is, but i'm a bit suspicious of it. I'm curious how they found that extra power for so little money and since it's made by Hodgdon they could have snuck in another ingredient. To be black powder it needs to have sulfur, charcoal, and potassium nitrate. That doesn't mean they can't add something else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.