Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Need advice from yall >

Need advice from yall

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need advice from yall

Old 06-18-2017, 09:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

You need a binder too Pete. I was just talking to an old guy at a gun show last week and he uses corn starch for a binder.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've never heard a powder maker doing that. Are you sure that wasn't his home brew remedy?
Old 06-18-2017, 12:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Yes, it is, but i'm a bit suspicious of it. I'm curious how they found that extra power for so little money and since it's made by Hodgdon they could have snuck in another ingredient. ..........
Old Eynsford is made by GOEX, not Hodgdon. It's real unadulterated black powder with a bit higher quality control than other GOEX offerings.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

No I was looking into it also and every site/video I saw always referred to some type of binder. He's the first guy I heard using corn starch. Most use dextrin. The binder slows down the BP. I would guess its really not necessary.
Its a real simple recipe: 75% Pot. Nitrate, 10% Sulphur, 15% Charcoal, tumble for about 3 hours, dampen and form into a ball or compress into a puck. When dry, granulate using screening.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Semi......Hodgdon owns Goex.

How does quality control increase power?

To be honest I hope OE is a pure black powder. Swiss is getting pretty expensive. I wish some lab would test OE.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bronko22000
No I was looking into it also and every site/video I saw always referred to some type of binder. He's the first guy I heard using corn starch. Most use dextrin. The binder slows down the BP. I would guess its really not necessary.
Its a real simple recipe: 75% Pot. Nitrate, 10% Sulphur, 15% Charcoal, tumble for about 3 hours, dampen and form into a ball or compress into a puck. When dry, granulate using screening.
I watched a video showing Swiss making their powder. I wish I could find it again. It was 10 years ago. They use really old equipment, but it's obvious they put a lot of time into making their powder. Way more steps than you describe and much more time.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:15 PM
Typical Buck

That is the reason Swiss is such a good and consistent powder. Their quality control and sizing is unmatched. You get what you pay for most of the time.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep! I doubt i'll switch from it. Even if it is expensive. It's still way cheaper than BH 209.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

Quality control produces consistency Muley Hunter. The power comes from using the best products. They use Black Alder for the wood making charcoal. And from what I have been told as well as seen that is supposed to be the best charcoal, especially for firearms, that you can use to make black powder.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, I used to preach that all the time when I was pushing Swiss powder.

I've heard that Goex claims to use Alder now in OE. I don't think it's the same quality as Swiss uses, but it's a step in the right direction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.