Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
#21 comes out of the closet >

#21 comes out of the closet

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

#21 comes out of the closet

Old 04-29-2017, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thats a really nice scope for the money and specific hunting application or target shooting. I noticed they offer 2 versions and one has 3.9" of relief and the other is listed at 3.3".
Old 04-29-2017, 01:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

SS have you not shot the Mountaineer b4? I do not know why I say this but I was really impressed with mine and its ability to shoot.

I have two other Super DISC 45's and they all shoot lights out but I was really happy with the Mountaineer. After shooting it a couple of times with the factory thumbhole

But it did not take me long to drop it in a Kevlar stock. This feels much better packing around in the woods. And shoots better than I can shoot.

Old 04-29-2017, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

I shot it once but the primers were sticking so bad that I couldn't get much shooting in . I just put it away . Now that I want to use it I need to deal with that issue . Hopefully it shoots as good as my original disc
.If it does I will be happy . I plan on mainly using Ed's 465 gr bullets
Hopefully in a day or so I have time to take it out and see if I can solve the sticking primers. If not I may take the Knight approach and just put a RPJ breech plug and bolt in it . Bare primer is much preferred if possible but I don't want to go the tungsten bushing route so hopefully a shim will work
Old 04-29-2017, 03:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sabot,

That's a very nice "bench" set-up you got there.

I love the rear rest !!!

Helps if you are looking to shoot tight groups, huh ?!
Old 04-29-2017, 04:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
I shot it once but the primers were sticking so bad that I couldn't get much shooting in . I just put it away . Now that I want to use it I need to deal with that issue . Hopefully it shoots as good as my original disc
.If it does I will be happy . I plan on mainly using Ed's 465 gr bullets
Hopefully in a day or so I have time to take it out and see if I can solve the sticking primers. If not I may take the Knight approach and just put a RPJ breech plug and bolt in it . Bare primer is much preferred if possible but I don't want to go the tungsten bushing route so hopefully a shim will work

I had to do some work on mine also - sticking primers. It turned out to be a problem with the bolt face. If you still get sticking even after setting your head space - try another bolt one that you know works - even a primer adapter setup.

My problem the space between rails was to narrow and the was a burr in the rails where the primer slides in.

Suggest you go to a bolt and primer adapter and see if that helps the problem.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Sabot,

That's a very nice "bench" set-up you got there.

I love the rear rest !!!

Helps if you are looking to shoot tight groups, huh ?!

The double adjustable rests does come in handy some times.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sabotloader
I had to do some work on mine also - sticking primers. It turned out to be a problem with the bolt face. If you still get sticking even after setting your head space - try another bolt one that you know works - even a primer adapter setup.

My problem the space between rails was to narrow and the was a burr in the rails where the primer slides in.

Suggest you go to a bolt and primer adapter and see if that helps the problem.
I have a Lehigh setup. I might try that and see what happens . Last resort is the fpj
Old 04-29-2017, 07:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
I have a Lehigh setup. I might try that and see what happens . Last resort is the fpj
I have one installed in one of my 50 cal. Mountaineer

Old 05-01-2017, 03:05 PM
Fork Horn

Last year I converted all 3 of my Knights(.50 cal LRH, MH and Disc Elite) with their new bare primer breech plugs and replaced the bolts with adapters with the new Mountaineer style bolts. I had a lot of trouble with both seating the primers and even more ejecting them. On one I couldn't even close the bolt completely. After talking to Knight and others I decided to polish the primer pockets on the BPs using Western Powder and JB bore paste and baby q tips from CVS. It took a few nights to slick them up and I have had no problems since. I use Winchester's regular 209 primers and have minimal blow by with up to 105 Gr loads of BH209. With 110 to 120 grs of BH209 the blow by increases a bit. I also have 3 bare primer BPs made by Lehign before they contracted with Knight from a clearly different alloy and have never had an issue with them.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

Great looking rig, but I question your scope choice, Its field of view at 100 yds is only 10 feet. That makes finding an animal in your scope' at any distance, really tough. IMO your would be much better off using a Vortex 3 x 9 x 40 with a FOV of 12 to 34 feet at 100 yds. Higher magnification doesn't help much if you can't find the animal in your scope. One of the lower end Vortex 3 x 9 x 42 is much more practical. Trying to pick a big buck out a moving herd of 30 plus animals is next to impossible with a 12 power scope. I started hunting out west in the mid 60's and the bulk of the animals I've harvested were killed at 100 to 125 yds after a long stalk. To get some real time input give Skylar a call at SWFA. he's always willing to share his experience with others and is extremely nice to boot. Good hunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.