HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Shes already learning! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/413217-shes-already-learning.html)

MountainDevil54 04-18-2017 04:10 PM

Shes already learning!

She's almost 10 weeks old now, but Chloe is getting used to the smoke of my rifles! She'll try sitting in your lap while you shoot believe it or not. I don't do that though, it's hard on a dogs ears and shes hard headed as it is with listening to you.

After she goes outside however, she sure in heck knows where the treats are and sits right next to the shelf waiting!

She's a pure bred pitbull. My other dog in the background, the blackish grey is a pitbull/black lab mix. They get along great, she grabs him by the collar and tries to drag him around the house. Funny as heck to watch them play!

I am just watching her for a week for my nephew. I am potty training her and tomorrow I'll start putting her in a dog crate at night so she can be contained while my nephew is out of the house or a short trip. I didn't do that with my dog and paid in the price in a lot of torn up things lol.

hunters_life 04-18-2017 05:14 PM

MountainDevil54, if you want to house break her really fast and reliably, use that kennel. It will take a day or 2 but keep her in it and take her out only to go outside. She will probably drive you a bit crazy but I found this to be the best and fastest way to house break a dog. If she is smart, and she does look quite attentive, taking her out 4 times a day to go outside and immediately going right back into the kennel will teach her quickly. I house broke my dads Rottweilers as well as my Shepherds this way. Pitts are usually very smart and easily trained. They get a bad rap because of stupid owners.

bronko22000 04-18-2017 05:30 PM

I strongly believe in keeping a pup in a kennel. I raised labs for over 35 years and as they were being weaned and eating puppy chow, we would take them outside as soon as they were done. (it can get pretty difficult to keep track of 8 - 10 puppies sometimes). It was surprising how many of our buyers would call and say when they were done eating they would run to the door to go outside. I bet it was over 50%.

GoexBlackhorn 04-20-2017 09:52 AM

I would never own or recommend that breed to anyone. Obvious reasons why.....all over the internet and newspapers. My sister works the local, large hospital ER and I hear horror stories all the time. Also, in my 15 years of long, 2-3 mile daily dog walks, my last two dogs have been attacked 34 times....... 29 by various pitbull or pitbull mix-breeds.

I've said my 2 cents here. Hoping yours remains docile/loving (without incident) for their entire lives.

MountainDevil54 04-20-2017 10:01 AM

All about how you raise them. The news media loves to doctor up their articles. Remember that Domermans, sheppards and rots also are terrible horrible, attack you on site dogs, according to news articles from the 70s, 80s and 90s.

Also have to remember, if it "looks" like a pitbull, its labeled as a pitbull LOL.

Pete * Muley* has a pure bread pitbull and that dog is friendlier than the owner! LOL.

BarnesAddict 04-20-2017 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54 (Post 4301497)
All about how you raise them.............

I have to agree, but with a slight exception. A properly raised and handled dog most generally will be a great dog, and a friendly dog. Yes, its the owner's responsibility and it takes work.

However a dog's breeding can, to some extent, determine how that dog "may" act/react as an adult dog. Anyone who has raised bird dogs to any extent will confirm that.
I raised and showed Gordon Setters for years, and regardless of perfect breeding practices, there are and will be differences in the different dog's reactions.

Pure bred basically means that there is "might be some way" to document the dog's pedigree. Others use the phrase to refer to a specific breed. Rarely do those who call a dog a "pure bred", actually have registered papers.

I have a niece and also a grand niece who both own pits. Both of the dogs are registered and are EXTREMELY friendly. Both of the dogs are friendly with other dogs, including cats. However both dogs were brought up using indoor kennels (crates), both dogs were brought up as puppies around other people (strangers), along with association with other pets.
I will say this though, should you grab either one of those ladies in a harmful way, you might just grab off more than you can chew. The dog won't.

Its easy to make a dog into a bad ask, it takes work and dedication to make a great dog.

hunters_life 04-20-2017 03:18 PM

As I said, pits get a bad rap. The uneducated seem to advance the totally wrong concept that pits are bad dogs. I was raised around many different breeds of protection and combat dogs my entire life. Including but not limited to, American Pitbull Terrier, German Shepherds, Rottweilers, Doberman Pinschers, and Great Danes. Of all of those breeds, my dads pits were probably the most playful and sweetest tempered. Their protective instincts were not to be trifled with in any manner nor would any of our other dogs. Basically, you messed with one of the kids or my parents, you would be on the bad side of some serious teeth. The most ill tempered dog I have ever seen in my life was one of my dads old coon hounds. A big old Red Bone. I swear that dog didn't even like itself. The only person that dog would pay any attention to whatsoever was the old man. It would even growl at him sometimes. The old man would growl back and that usually ended the conversation. The old man loved that old dog. Even shed a few tears when it died. He said, meanest sob on the planet but not a more dedicated coon hound has ever lived.
Like MountainDevil54 and BarnesAddict both said, it is all in the training and raising of a dog. That would be any dog. Some aggressiveness of course is genetic and relative to the breed just as hunting instincts or herding instincts are in others. But a dogs temperament all has to do with it's health, training, and relationship with it's owner. To put it as simple as possible, a bad dog is 99 percent of the time the fault of a bad owner.

MountainDevil54 04-25-2017 06:12 PM

shes a great little dog! 2 days in the kennel with only a few minutes of crying before she just relaxes. She doesnt try pushing against the door or anything, just cries and barks for a little bit and after that, lays down and sleeps.

When shes hungry, she goes over to her feeding area and either picks up the food cup or her bowl and brings it over to you LOL.

She already learned where the treats are and after going potty, sits right in front of them and waits for her treat.

Im working with her paws now. I want to make sure my nephew is able to trim her nails.

She still needs some time on the leash. Shes pretty good but gets stubborn at times and sits on her butt and lets you drag her around before she gives up and walks.

Sheridan 04-25-2017 06:23 PM

It sounds like you have been around a few dogs ??!!

MountainDevil54 04-25-2017 07:11 PM

Yep, just doing the same thing I've done with my other dogs. She's very alert and easy going for her age.