Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

accuracy question

Old 04-12-2017, 03:33 PM
  #31  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 5
Default

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin View Post
Me, i believe it is good practice to be as consistent as possible when loading your rifle. Aligning the sabot the same way each time you load, should help accuracy; how can it hurt?

Follows is a calculation using the information you provided about your load.

















Note the chart indicate your 25 yard impact shouldn't be 3" low, if it is 1" high at 100 yard. The 25 yard impact should be about 1/4" high. The calculator shown here, has been very reliable for me, and all my shooting; i trust it.













_____________________________
Ron, thanks for the chart. Yea, That 25yd shot did seem off. It was my first shot through a clean barrel and I was not hugging the lead sled properly. Next time out I want to start shooting my hunting distances(between 50 and 75 yds) and the chart will help.
Novemberain is offline  
Old 04-12-2017, 04:38 PM
  #32  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Irvine, KY
Posts: 157
Default

If you are more confident indexing your sabot/bullet then by all means then you should add that to your shooting routine. Confidence plays a huge roll in accuracy. I personally don't index and for my purposes I try to keep everything simple. The more complicated something is the greater chance of error at the moment of high stress. That being said I am a hunter first so I'm more inclined to except reasonable accuracy and that is subjective.
Slowburn is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 08:58 AM
  #33  
Boone & Crockett
 
bronko22000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 11,978
Default

OK this is straight from the horse's mouth so to speak. I posed the following question to Harvester Sabots and received the response below the question.

There is a heated discussion going on in my hunting forum regarding the slipping of sabots in the bore of a muzzleloader upon ignition.
Using the proper sabot/bullet combination (adequate pressure required to seat it on the charge) will the sabot slip in the rifling?
Some are claiming that it could slip as much as 6"-8"! Also, can the bullet slip inside the sabot using the same fit as above?
Thanks


Hello Mr. Bronkoxxxx,
If the proper sabot/bullet combination for the particular muzzleloader is used, the sabot should not slip in the rifling.
Best Regards,
Alan Hensley
Product Specialist
J-Ron, Inc.
bronko22000 is online now  
Old 04-13-2017, 09:39 AM
  #34  
Boone & Crockett
 
sabotloader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Idaho
Posts: 11,612
Default

Originally Posted by bronko22000 View Post
OK this is straight from the horse's mouth so to speak. I posed the following question to Harvester Sabots and received the response below the question.

There is a heated discussion going on in my hunting forum regarding the slipping of sabots in the bore of a muzzleloader upon ignition.
Using the proper sabot/bullet combination (adequate pressure required to seat it on the charge) will the sabot slip in the rifling?
Some are claiming that it could slip as much as 6"-8"! Also, can the bullet slip inside the sabot using the same fit as above?
Thanks


Hello Mr. Bronkoxxxx,
If the proper sabot/bullet combination for the particular muzzleloader is used, the sabot should not slip in the rifling.
Best Regards,
Alan Hensley
Product Specialist
J-Ron, Inc.

and just from my prospective - I believe Ron is correct!
sabotloader is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 10:43 AM
  #35  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Saxonburg Pa
Posts: 3,902
Default

Originally Posted by bronko22000 View Post
Hello Mr. Bronkoxxxx,
If the proper sabot/bullet combination for the particular muzzleloader is used, the sabot should not slip in the rifling.
Best Regards,
Alan Hensley
Product Specialist
J-Ron, Inc.
I think thats a very smart reply. The key is he said if the proper bullet sabot combination is used. And the other key is he said should not slip in the rifling. Good job harvester!!
Grouse45 is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 12:07 PM
  #36  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Irvine, KY
Posts: 157
Default

So the sabot skips over the rifling? I suppose it's possible but; however, I would tend to believe that more preasure from the ignition would need to be generated, but that's my opinion. Now if a person sized the sabot/bullet through a cut off piece of the barrel and then indexed the sabot when it was loaded it may slip or depending on the size of the bore in the first few inches above the BP. Some of my ML's the load will seat easier than others. I know the tolerances is all over the place when comparing one manufacturer to another. If the bullet was skipping I would throw a couple wraps of Teflon tape around the bullet and see if that makes a difference.
Slowburn is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 12:39 PM
  #37  
Boone & Crockett
 
bronko22000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 11,978
Default

Originally Posted by Grouse45 View Post
I think thats a very smart reply. The key is he said if the proper bullet sabot combination is used. And the other key is he said should not slip in the rifling. Good job harvester!!
Well I guess you know more about muzzleloaders than the manufacturers and most of the members in here. Just keep on thinking that.
bronko22000 is online now  
Old 04-13-2017, 01:02 PM
  #38  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Saxonburg Pa
Posts: 3,902
Default

Originally Posted by Slowburn View Post
So the sabot skips over the rifling? I suppose it's possible but; however, I would tend to believe that more preasure from the ignition would need to be generated, but that's my opinion. Now if a person sized the sabot/bullet through a cut off piece of the barrel and then indexed the sabot when it was loaded it may slip or depending on the size of the bore in the first few inches above the BP. Some of my ML's the load will seat easier than others. I know the tolerances is all over the place when comparing one manufacturer to another. If the bullet was skipping I would throw a couple wraps of Teflon tape around the bullet and see if that makes a difference.
Your thinking is very good!! Bullets and sabots fluctuate a lot. If i was a competitive shooter i would do as you mentioned if i had to use sabots.
Grouse45 is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 01:07 PM
  #39  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Saxonburg Pa
Posts: 3,902
Default

Originally Posted by bronko22000 View Post
Well I guess you know more about muzzleloaders than the manufacturers and most of the members in here. Just keep on thinking that.
You make a good post, then you follow it up with this?? This is obviously way over your head, so just dont post on it unless its something usefull like your post from harvester.
Grouse45 is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 01:13 PM
  #40  
Nontypical Buck
 
BarnesAddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Near a lake with no fish
Posts: 1,066
Default

Originally Posted by Grouse45 View Post
I think thats a very smart reply. The key is he said if the proper bullet sabot combination is used. And the other key is he said should not slip in the rifling. Good job harvester!!
A proper fitting sabot won't slip in the rifling. Goes right back to the muzzleloading handguns with short barrel. Easy and simple to test yourself. Review your sabots after firing them. If they slide down the rifling 8" before then grip the rifling, then surely evidence of it slicing the sabot will exist.

Use a Barnes with the light colored sabot (yellow) and it will be visible.
BarnesAddict is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.