Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

accuracy question

Old 04-11-2017, 03:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

whether there is slippage or not there is still more consistency. And as far as obturation of a jacketed bullet I wouldn't think there would be much as the base of the jacket would absorb most of the shock. And even if it did, any obturation would reduce slippage.
IMO that is just theoretical nonsense. Especially with a proper fitting bullet/sabot.
Just to disprove this Grouse, you said that you don't think Bloodline bullets don't obturate at all! If that is so then why are they so accurate when there is more slippage due to no obturation?
Just not logical.

Last edited by bronko22000; 04-11-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Don't forget, the base of the sabot likely obturates almost immediately upon ignition, locking the sabot into the rifling and the bullet to the sabot. If there is any slippage I would think it most likely occurs between the sabot and the bullet, not the sabot and the bore.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Don't forget, the base of the sabot likely obturates almost immediately upon ignition, locking the sabot into the rifling and the bullet to the sabot. If there is any slippage I would think it most likely occurs between the sabot and the bullet, not the sabot and the bore.
Yup. I can't find any evidence of slipping....

Old 04-11-2017, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
whether there is slippage or not there is still more consistency. And as far as obturation of a jacketed bullet I wouldn't think there would be much as the base of the jacket would absorb most of the shock. And even if it did, any obturation would reduce slippage.
IMO that is just theoretical nonsense. Especially with a proper fitting bullet/sabot.
Just to disprove this Grouse, you said that you don't think Bloodline bullets don't obturate at all! If that is so then why are they so accurate when there is more slippage due to no obturation?
Just not logical.
Bloodline bullets accurate compared to what?? If I was entering a competition shoot it sure wouldn't be with a Bloodline or any other deep hollow point bullet. Obturation is the key to shooting tight groups. And that's why you see the best shooters shooting full bore bullets. I don't care if it's a lead bullet or a jacketed bullet. Those people understand obturation and the benefits to it. Go on Lehigh Defenses website and let me know how many centerfire bullets you see made out of brass. You need to learn about obturation to understand how it works and the benefits to it. But one thing you'll learn is, obturation deforms the bullet to an extent. My theory on the Bloodlines is they don't obturate which means they don't deform. So this allows the Bloodline to fly uniform and pretty darn accurate for a hollow point bullet.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict

I didn't expect you to or understand bullet obturation or it's benefits. Have Jeff/Bestil explain it to you and also ask him about sabot slippage. Let us know what his opinion is on it.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
As far as I'm concerned, whether a sabot slips the rifling upon ignition is pure speculation. It may be logical speculation, but speculation none the less.

Without proof either way, it is just as logical to state that a well fitted sabot that engraves into the rifling upon loading does not slip the rifling.
That's fair enough!!
Old 04-11-2017, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
I didn't expect you to or understand bullet obturation or it's benefits. Have Jeff/Bestil explain it to you and also ask him about sabot slippage. Let us know what his opinion is on it.
No, I don't need to ask Jeff anything. However I have no clue why you would attempt to drag Jeff into this?

I didn't say a single thing about obturation. If you want to go on the offensive, please do it with those who are discussing obturation with you.

Now as others have appeared to some point agree, I have yet to see factual proof that a sabot slips from 6 to 8" down the bore at ignition before the sabot catches the rifling. I just merely posted a photo of sabots which I just shot, which show no exterior signs of the sabot sliding 6-8" down the bore before catching the rifling. Zoom in on them, take a good look.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

No, I don't need to ask Jeff anything. However I have no clue why you would attempt to drag Jeff into this?

I didn't say a single thing about obturation. If you want to go on the offensive, please do it with those who are discussing obturation with you.
Jeff is an experienced shooter and a winner. You don't become this without knowing different variables of bullets and sabots in a ML including slippage and obturation. And other factors as well. When I get time I'll ask his opinion and quote him on here.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've got to say BA, that sure looks like slippage. I've shot several thousand sabot loads with various bullets and sabots and have never had a sabot turn out like that. But then I seldom shoot sabot loads with more than 90 grains or so, and don't use either Blackhorn or smokless.

What load combination produced those torn up bases?

Last edited by Semisane; 04-11-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Jeff is an experienced shooter and a winner. You don't become this without knowing different variables of bullets and sabots in a ML including slippage and obturation. And other factors as well. When I get time I'll ask his opinion and quote him on here.
I'm in no way telling you what you can or can't do. However to bring someone's name into a conversation, that has no part in the conversation at this time, is purely wrong. I'd suggest that if Jeff wants to be part of the conversation, or wanted to, he'd be a member and/or be posting himself. Also as you previously stated, he has an opinion. Others certainly have their opinions that shoot land riding bullets too. They may also differ, and all be great shots.
However the OP was asking about indexing sabots and trajectory, not 6 to 8" slipping sabots.

So back to the 6" to 8" of a sabot slipping down the bore before it catches the rifling please. How do those muzzleloading handguns shoot such great groups at range, when you're suggesting that the sabot is traveling half way or more down the barrel before the sabot grips the rifling? What factual evidence do you have that this actually happens? Something other than just an opinion please.
And do you still hold fast that indexing will not, can not and won't possibly help with some rifle/bullet/sabot combinations?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.