HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Off Topic: Something Stinks at Scent-Lock (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/413054-off-topic-something-stinks-scent-lock.html)

Semisane 04-10-2017 08:07 AM

Off Topic: Something Stinks at Scent-Lock

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articl...inks-scent-lok

Oldtimr 04-10-2017 08:42 AM

Sounds like ALS is using the same theory as Bill Clinton did. "It depends on what the meaning of the word is" It didn;t work for him ither he was still impeached. I never wasted my money on that stuff because even if you were sealed in a plastic bag, your breath would still be escaping into the air unless you learn how not to breath for a couple of hours. Hunters and fishermen will buy anything if it is advertised in a way to make them think it will take the place of skill.

cayugad 04-10-2017 09:31 AM

I admit I purchased a bottle of scent lock spray when it first came out. And I think there was even some laundry detergent soap that the claim was, "wash your clothing in this and it will help "hide" your scent." Well almost any soap will do that. Its just a different stink. Since that first purchase, and seeing no real benefit I never purchased more.

Just like camouflage clothing helps hide you from deer and turkeys. To an extent, yes they do. They break up your silhouette I guess. I have a number of outfits that I wear. But then its nice to have play clothing.

But I still laugh about the afternoon I hunted turkey in a green flannel checkered shirt and blue jeans. I had drove out to the farm only to realize, I'd left my camouflage outfit on the chair in the kitchen where I set it. No camouflage, no fancy blind, no nothing. Just me, back against a tree, sitting on the ground. I had four different toms walk right up to my decoys. Only three left on their own. And why do you wear camouflage clothing when your sitting in a camouflage blind? I always felt shadows and movement were the key to stealth.

Many companies hang their hats on "words." For instance, does it "protect" your rifle or "help protect" your rifle. There are lawyers that make a living looking for "Words." Well this company claimed this or that but read the sentence again like this ... words!

My Dad always told me if a company claims something that sounds too good to be true, it probably is. All they are looking for a someone that really wants to believe their claims.

What would be interesting to know is, how many of us have used Scent Lok or a similar product thinking it was going to help?

Oldtimr 04-10-2017 10:27 AM

I have not use any of those products, either sprays, soap or clothing, and I never will.

bronko22000 04-10-2017 10:29 AM

I have some Scent-Loc clothing. Honestly I have never noticed a difference. Without it I've have deer come within touching distance of me but I don't recall that ever happening while wearing the product.
We'll see what happens with the trial. Maybe those of us that have it can get their money back. Then we can buy more powder and bullets!!!

Oldtimr 04-10-2017 10:59 AM

If the plaintive's win there may be that possibility, Although one of the attorneys here would have to answer this question. In order for customers of the clothing who were not part of the suit to get a refund, wouldn't the law suit have to be a class action suit?

hunters_life 04-10-2017 11:56 AM

You all asked that I participate so here I am throwing my hat in the ring. As oldtimr stated, nothing will totally eradicate human scent. My dad started out hunting before there was even such a thing as camouflage clothing available to the hunters. There really wasn't all that much available 47 years ago when he started me out at the ripe old age of 3. Later on in life, he and all of his kids have pretty large assortments of camouflage but in all reality, I don't really think it makes that much of a difference. Most of us now use something similar to ghillie suits. Light bug net with stuff sewn into them to look like leaves. As far as scent control, dad and all of us always got a pretty good laugh at the stupidity in the market place. We all go so far as to use a scent free clothes and body wash but even more important, in our experience, was the lack of UV enhancers and dies. I am sure you have all seen the UV black lights and how they make UV brighteners and dies glow. Deer see on a different light wave spectrum than we do and are much more sensitive to them. I remember when that scentlock stuff first came out and I was talking to dad about it. He simply reminded me of how many deer he and I have both had close enough to us to kill them with a knife. Just using the wind and a little common sense about scent control.

BarnesAddict 04-10-2017 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by cayugad (Post 4300536)
What would be interesting to know is, how many of us have used Scent Lok or a similar product thinking it was going to help?

I learned over 50 years ago to pay attention to Rule #1, the wind. Rule #2 was to think about rule #1 again.

I've used Scent Lok and felt it.... "helped" ... once or twice, but I NEVER count on it, ever. Refer to rule #1 ALWAYS.

There's all kinds of science about what an animal can or can't see. Pretty much all can agree, movement they see the best.
They say deer see certain shades of UV more than others. I'm not an expert, so I have no clue. However if you really want to see what your camo "might" look like to an animal, go out after dark and take a photo of it with your IR game camera!

Another money grabbing item, are rubber boots that are supposed to keep you scent free. LOL Rinse them off real good, walk across a field to your tree stand, then watch what happens if a deer crosses your track.

olsaltydog 04-10-2017 01:33 PM

In your link there is already another link saying the original ruling was overturned so scent lock is found to not be misleading. We could wait for the trials to be done and over before deciding.

bronko22000 04-10-2017 03:16 PM

Like Hunter's Life said I've had plenty of deer within spitting distance and I'm sure several of you other guys did too. And I've learned long ago to wash my clothes in nothing but baking soda. And although I didn't fall for the scent elimination ads, I did buy some Scent-Loc stuff only because it was on sale at a dirt cheap price that I couldn't resist.
Waaaaaay back when I started hunting my "camo" for archery season was nothing more than a green pair of heavy cotton pants and a chamois shirt where I took a black marker to and put twig like lines on it. (I should have patented that like Predator Camo did!) Hind sight is 20-20 like it is often said.
During rifle season here in PA we wore either solid red or red/black plaid Woolrich outfits and heavy rubber boots.