Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
You have to start somewhere.... >

You have to start somewhere....

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

You have to start somewhere....

Old 03-20-2017, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Considering the 300 yard event and sabot only requirement. You have to wonder why when very few true production rifles will compete well under those conditions.............
I'll just say that's flat out wrong! Who are you trying to convince? Any quality shooter will get moa at 300yds with a shrink wrapped rifle, and a great shooter will get less. I've personally witnessed, and records prove it, that shooters are knocking down steel pigs with CVA Optima rifles, and the original Remington 700ml rifles, at 300 meters using Swiss 2f and sabots.
The real issue is that most don't know how to shoot at that range, nor have most ever tried. No one is teaching new shooters the capabilities modern inline rifles actually have, or how to shoot them accurately. Instead, they're being told what they should or shouldn't do, what bullet and sabot shoots best from someone else's rifle, and how to install a vent liner. Or some well meaning shooter tells them that most all game shots are at 100yds or less, so there's no need to practice/shoot at longer ranges, and install an "O" ring......
Then when something does come up, where shooters could enter or just go watch and learn, someone has to come along and criticize a new first time event, that after the event is completed, changes will be made. Reminds me of the liberals that need a "special room", with pillows and blankets to go cry. Hillary supporters.
How about coming up with something positive to share?
Old 03-20-2017, 10:40 AM
Banned

I'll take on all dem $1500+ muzzleloaders with this $135 Mosin! WAUGH!
Old 03-20-2017, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
The real issue is that most don't know how to shoot at that range, nor have most ever tried.
They really have no reason to either. sharpening your skills to become a better hunter is a smarter way. With the exceptions of plains game and those people who dont have a choice.

With technology today, its fairly simple to shoot long range. Ballistic reticle scopes, rangefinder, binos etc. The bottom line is a good steady rest. No secret about that at all.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
They really have no reason to either. sharpening your skills to become a better hunter is a smarter way. With the exceptions of plains game and those people who dont have a choice.
With technology today, its fairly simple to shoot long range. Ballistic reticle scopes, rangefinder, binos etc. The bottom line is a good steady rest. No secret about that at all.
First, every shooter isn't necessarily a hunter. I know a number of them.

I can't count the numbers of hunters using muzzleloaders, that were totally scared to death, to take a shot beyond 40yds. Even with their modern inline. They had the thought, or it was instilled into them, that muzzleloaders were only close range rifles. Modern inlines are not just 40 or 100yd rifles.
Second, not everyone who hunts with a muzzleloader or any firearm for that matter, has the ability to "hunt". The terrain you hunt can be completely different than what they can hunt. Eastern/southern hunters may have more woods and brush, where short shots are the norm. Mid west hunters may have a single hedge row to hide in, over looking an 80 acre bean field. Western hunters may have vast areas, miles of wide open, hills, or mountains. Shots at game vary by geographical area. So lumping all muzzleloader hunters into a "no reason" to shoot long range is far from correct.

I do though like your last paragraph. Its spot on. That is exactly why any shrink wrapped rifle is capable of 300yds or 300m accurately. Shooters just have to learn from someone how to properly utilize the rifles they already have. Its no secret, it just has to be learned.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
First, every shooter isn't necessarily a hunter. I know a number of them.

I can't count the numbers of hunters using muzzleloaders, that were totally scared to death, to take a shot beyond 40yds. Even with their modern inline. They had the thought, or it was instilled into them, that muzzleloaders were only close range rifles. Modern inlines are not just 40 or 100yd rifles.
Second, not everyone who hunts with a muzzleloader or any firearm for that matter, has the ability to "hunt". The terrain you hunt can be completely different than what they can hunt. Eastern/southern hunters may have more woods and brush, where short shots are the norm. Mid west hunters may have a single hedge row to hide in, over looking an 80 acre bean field. Western hunters may have vast areas, miles of wide open, hills, or mountains. Shots at game vary by geographical area. So lumping all muzzleloader hunters into a "no reason" to shoot long range is far from correct.

I do though like your last paragraph. Its spot on. That is exactly why any shrink wrapped rifle is capable of 300yds or 300m accurately. Shooters just have to learn from someone how to properly utilize the rifles they already have. Its no secret, it just has to be learned.
But I'm saying ballistic reticles really make all the long range hunting a lot easier. If your talking competive paper shooting that's different. But I'm not sure anyone that posts on this board does that. Showing up at one shoot a year, doesn't classify a competive shooter to me at all. But that's my opinion only. It's like the Deer hunter that hunt the first day of buck and no more.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

obviously things are deleted in this thread. Were can i get a copy of the new rules??
Right here.
http://www.michrpa.org/resources/Doc...zzleloader.pdf

RIFLES- Any safe production in-line muzzleloader. Weight of scope and rifle not to exceed 12 lbs.

BULLETs /SABOTS- Any lead or jacketed bullet enclosed in a sabot. A sabot must be used. No bore riding bullets

SIGHTS-Any iron sight or scope.

PROPELLANT-Black powder or any black powder substitute. NO SMOKELESS POWDER.

PRIMER-#11 cap, musket cap, 209 primer or primed ctg. case ignition.

FIRING POSITION- Prone using any easily portable front rest such as sandbags, x-sticks, bi-pod etc. Rear shoulder support only. No artificial rest under the rifle butt.

COURSE OF FIRE-In-line M/L class. 300, 200 and 100 yards prone. A fouling shot may be fired into the berm
once your 30 minute relay starts. Up to three sighting shots may then be fired, then 5 shots for score. 30 minute
relays at each distance. We use 3 man squads. The targets fired at are the NRA SR-3 300 yard target, SR 200 yd.
target and the NMLRA 6 bull target at 100 yds.

DUE TO SPACE LIMITATIONS, THE 2017 MATCH WILL BE LIMITED TO THE FIRST 12 PEOPLE
WHO PRE-REGISTER
Old 03-20-2017, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

But I'm saying ballistic reticles really make all the long range hunting a lot easier. If your talking competive paper shooting that's different. But I'm not sure anyone that posts on this board does that. Showing up at one shoot a year, doesn't classify a competive shooter to me at all. But that's my opinion only. It's like the Deer hunter that hunt the first day of buck and no more.
But, we're not talking hunting and haven't been. We're actually talking accurate paper shooting. One doesn't have to be a competitive shooter to be able to shoot extremely accurate.

So you're still right. With the equipment available to shooters today, even shrink wrap rifle owners, long range shooting isn't a secret.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:34 PM
Spike

I'm just glad when anyone is willing to put effort and time into hosting any ML match.
Good luck if you are able to attend and shoot.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Right here.
http://www.michrpa.org/resources/Doc...zzleloader.pdf

RIFLES- Any safe production in-line muzzleloader. Weight of scope and rifle not to exceed 12 lbs.

BULLETs /SABOTS- Any lead or jacketed bullet enclosed in a sabot. A sabot must be used. No bore riding bullets

SIGHTS-Any iron sight or scope.

PROPELLANT-Black powder or any black powder substitute. NO SMOKELESS POWDER.

PRIMER-#11 cap, musket cap, 209 primer or primed ctg. case ignition.

FIRING POSITION- Prone using any easily portable front rest such as sandbags, x-sticks, bi-pod etc. Rear shoulder support only. No artificial rest under the rifle butt.

COURSE OF FIRE-In-line M/L class. 300, 200 and 100 yards prone. A fouling shot may be fired into the berm
once your 30 minute relay starts. Up to three sighting shots may then be fired, then 5 shots for score. 30 minute
relays at each distance. We use 3 man squads. The targets fired at are the NRA SR-3 300 yard target, SR 200 yd.
target and the NMLRA 6 bull target at 100 yds.

DUE TO SPACE LIMITATIONS, THE 2017 MATCH WILL BE LIMITED TO THE FIRST 12 PEOPLE
WHO PRE-REGISTER
The first thing I noticed is there's no powder limit?? Wasn't last year limited to a certain load?? Or did that get changed to?
Old 03-20-2017, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Its a local (state) event and as far as i know its not a NMLRA event. I dont see any reference to the NMLRA at all actually on their website. http://www.michrpa.org/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.