Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New scope on the way..... >

New scope on the way.....

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New scope on the way.....

Old 03-02-2017, 03:10 PM
Dominant Buck

that would have been my next question Sabotloader. As I have read some reports of how a lead sled (I really don't see why) will take out a scope. I had one scope blow out on me and that was a Bushnell Banner. It was not a high dollar scope by any means. But I purchased it for the eye relief. And after having it professionally mounted, it would drop cross hairs. I sent it back to Mid South USA and they gave me a refund. Of which I purchased a Nikon Pro Staff instead.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
After busting the Leupold VX6 twice, I'm heading to another level.

After reading reviews, discussions with others, and watching a couple YT videos on torture testing, this one should hold up.
A new Nightforce C433 (MOAR) will be on the way next week. http://www.nightforceoptics.com/nxs/5-5-22x50
I suggest you understand more about what your doing. I didn't realize you were breaking so many scopes until a post I saw of yours recently. Rifle scopes are made to handle recoil no question. But rifle scopes are mainly recoiling back fast. So they are basically made to be protected from breaking in back ward recoil. When your using a brake that all Changes depending on caliber and pressures. Some will say the brake does not create reverse recoil, but in a big way I think it does. Most aren't protected in both directions for recoil. I use four rings on my pellet gun. But never even had to consider that with a CF rifle or Muzzleloader. Understanding the basics of what your doing, is really gonna end all your problems. Look for some educated shooters, mainly competition shooters and they will educate you on what scope is best for what your doing. It will save you time and money as well.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nothing wrong with Nightforce .........................

We should all be so fortunate !!!
Old 03-02-2017, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Was there ever a 'lead sled' or some such device used to reduce felt recoil to the shooter? Just asking?
It had been shot a number of times off the sled with no weight prior to it busting the first time. The issue was brought up with the tech supervisor, who stated emphatically, that "Lead sleds will not harm our scopes."
Since the repair, EVERY round has been fired either off the shoulder and at times using a rear bag, less than 100 rounds.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
I suggest you understand more about what your doing. I didn't realize you were breaking so many scopes until a post I saw of yours recently. Rifle scopes are made to handle recoil no question. But rifle scopes are mainly recoiling back fast. So they are basically made to be protected from breaking in back ward recoil. When your using a brake that all Changes depending on caliber and pressures. Some will say the brake does not create reverse recoil, but in a big way I think it does. Most aren't protected in both directions for recoil. I use four rings on my pellet gun. But never even had to consider that with a CF rifle or Muzzleloader. Understanding the basics of what your doing, is really gonna end all your problems. Look for some educated shooters, mainly competition shooters and they will educate you on what scope is best for what your doing. It will save you time and money as well.
I would suggest, I'm pretty certain I know what I'm doing. I have numerous friends who shoot competition and are extremely well educated and versed in making barrels, building rifles, mounting scopes and extreme accuracy. A few of them are standing record holders in many forms of shooting, from .22 pistols and rifles, military pistols and rifles, muzzleloader shooters and BPCR shooters. A good friend I shoot with at times, also a winning record holding scope shooter, shoots some CF rifle at 100yds at a target the size of this: o using a 42x scope and a 6oz trigger. Two friends hold standing records with multiple firearm types. Everything from Camp Perry to Governor's Cup winners. Believe me when I say, I'm well taken care of when it comes to competition shooters that can educate.

Muzzle brakes can and many times will, change the POI, between with and without them. However, the muzzle brake has nothing to do with causing a scope to break and certainly none of mine. Tens of thousands of rifles are fitted with muzzle brakes.

I'll clear something up about past broken scopes. For instance the Nikon Monarch scopes I've busted, none of which a muzzle brake was involved. One has to understand that I put many thousands of rounds down range with those scopes. Not just 20-50 rounds a year, but up to 2,000 rounds a year. So in reality, the Nikons, although they were each repaired twice, held up pretty well come to think about it.
The VX6 was mounted correctly and held for over a 1,000 rounds before breaking the first time. The second time, with the best and strongest mount and rings Leupold makes, less than 100. Maybe it was "that" individual scope as the tech suggested at Leupold, but it failed the second time.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
that would have been my next question Sabotloader. As I have read some reports of how a lead sled (I really don't see why) will take out a scope. I had one scope blow out on me and that was a Bushnell Banner. It was not a high dollar scope by any means. But I purchased it for the eye relief. And after having it professionally mounted, it would drop cross hairs. I sent it back to Mid South USA and they gave me a refund. Of which I purchased a Nikon Pro Staff instead.
I would suggest, I'm pretty certain I know what I'm doing. I have numerous friends who shoot competition and are extremely well educated and versed in making barrels, building rifles, mounting scopes and extreme accuracy. A few of them are standing record holders in many forms of shooting, from .22 pistols and rifles, military pistols and rifles, muzzleloader shooters and BPCR shooters. A good friend I shoot with at times, also a winning record holding scope shooter, shoots some CF rifle at 100yds at a target the size of this: o using a 42x scope and a 6oz trigger. Two friends hold standing records with multiple firearm types. Everything from Camp Perry to Governor's Cup winners. Believe me when I say, I'm well taken care of when it comes to competition shooters that can educate.

Muzzle brakes can and many times will, change the POI, between with and without them. However, the muzzle brake has nothing to do with causing a scope to break and certainly none of mine. Tens of thousands of rifles are fitted with muzzle brakes.

I'll clear something up about past broken scopes. For instance the Nikon Monarch scopes I've busted, none of which a muzzle brake was involved. One has to understand that I put many thousands of rounds down range with those scopes. Not just 20-50 rounds a year, but up to 2,000 rounds a year. So in reality, the Nikons, although they were each repaired twice, held up pretty well come to think about it.
The VX6 was mounted correctly and held for over a 1,000 rounds before breaking the first time. The second time, with the best and strongest mount and rings Leupold makes, less than 100. Maybe it was "that" individual scope as the tech suggested at Leupold, but it failed the second time.
In relation to the "lead sled" query, yes Barnes they absolutely can and have caused scope failure. The execs at the big label scope manufacturers will deny it for some stupid reason. Can't figure out why they would but they do deny it. Scope reticles are designed to take a pretty good bit of energy and the newer designed "dual spring erectors" from Luepy and others can withstand some serious stuff. BUT, as Tom pointed out, they are directional. Unlike a shoulder, the lead sled will cause rebound energy effects well above what a scope is designed for. Seen a lot of stocks split because of those damn things too.

As far as Muzzle Brakes causing scope failure, I've heard that theory touted in some circles by some various "experts" but in all reality, I personally haven't experienced it with any of my rifles with brakes with several thousand rounds through them. Nor do I know anyone that has. Sometimes, a scope just decides to give up the ghost. I've seen scopes with thousands of rounds under them go haywire from a little bump on the side. Sometimes there just isn't an explanation other than chit happens.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Nightforce is a good scope for sure. You just may be the first guy on here with a "tactical muzzleloader"... Just give me a scope with duplex or some type of BDC reticle and I'll be happy. I'll use KY windage if I need to. But I don't shoot my MLs as far as you do either.
Good luck with it.
Far from the first. NF is very popular with the higher end customs.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 03-03-2017 at 05:05 AM.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I cant point you in the right direction what to use. But you definitely need to talk to some better people then you are. Theres good brakes and bad brakes for guns/scopes. The good news about the scope you ordered its built around directional recoil. That will definately help your problem. But you could also be using a poor brake?? There are downsides to your new scope just like any other. Poor eye relief, and not holding good poi. I noticed some guys welding there bases on there muzzleloaders on Hanks board. You might want to talk to some of those guys. Not sure why there doing it, but the more i think about it, it makes great sense using a brake. I can assure you, high pressure loads, and big caliber CF rifles with brakes will break scopes. I can only tell you what i know, what you do in the end is up to you.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

It had been shot a number of times off the sled with no weight prior to it busting the first time. The issue was brought up with the tech supervisor, who stated emphatically, that "Lead sleds will not harm our scopes."
Since the repair, EVERY round has been fired either off the shoulder and at times using a rear bag, less than 100 rounds.
A led sled is a very poor choice for a rest. And they burn up plenty of lower end scopes. I was told it was designed/built around helping new and afraid first time shooters. To get used to the noise and shooting comfortably without much recoil. Thats a "quote" i heard awhile ago. Ive never used one and never will. Not a good rest for a hunter or a competitive shooter. It doesn't mimic anything you would do in either situation.

Anybody can shoot thousands of shots threw a ML/Gun. But doing it correct and effectively with the right tools is another thing all together.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

Good read on scopes here

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/index_...facturing.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.