Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Whats more important about your bullet choice. >

Whats more important about your bullet choice.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Whats more important about your bullet choice.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
For the SML I am building soon I will want an extreme BC because I will be shooting at ranges from 200-300 yards on Moose. I'll want every drop of energy that bullet can retain for those ranges on a Mature Bull Moose. Probably go with a Parker or a home lathed with a lightly hollow base and run through a drop sizer design I have in my head. But for my normal ranges on Whitetail and Elk, rarely over 150 yards, like Sabot I want the most felt impact and internal damage as can be delivered for a quick drop of the animal. So far, Lehighs/Bloodlines have shown me exactly what I want to see in terminal performance and at my medium ranges they perform exactly how I need them to as far as accuracy. They shoot great from both mine and my Daughters TC's. I think I'm going to go a bit heavier than the 220's and go with these 265gr controlled fracturing:

I had more people testing the 265grn Lehigh over any other bullet by far. And it proved to be a very good bullet. I think it's over kill for Deer but that's a matter of preference. As far as the 220 for me it's .458, which is good for the Knight 52 but not me. But it does shoot good in my NULA, but I'm working on a change for that gun and it will benefit your daughter to.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't mind a 220 in .452. Even with the crush ribs those .458's load a bit on the stiff side. Damn near impossible with the orange MMP's. Absolutely IS impossible for the youngest daughter. I have to get up and do a dance on the short starter to get them going. But they load well enough with the CR's and shoot dang near on top of each other with both of our rigs.

I've got a buck in mind for next season that will rival a Saska Canadian in body mass if he bulks up like he did this year. He'll be 6.5 this year with just a 145" 10 point 6x4 weird looking rack this past season. I want to crush him with a pretty stout load.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
BC really means nothing to me. I worry more about bullet expansion and tissue damage from the original hit. Another thing that is just as important is accuracy.
I couldn't have said it any better. A LONG shot for me is 75 yards.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't mind a 220 in .452. Even with the crush ribs those .458's load a bit on the stiff side. Damn near impossible with the orange MMP's. Absolutely IS impossible for the youngest daughter. I have to get up and do a dance on the short starter to get them going. But they load well enough with the CR's and shoot dang near on top of each other with both of our rigs.

I've got a buck in mind for next season that will rival a Saska Canadian in body mass if he bulks up like he did this year. He'll be 6.5 this year with just a 145" 10 point 6x4 weird looking rack this past season. I want to crush him with a pretty stout load.
If i shot him with 130grns of Bh209 and a 200grn Bloodline he wouldnt move. If he did it wouldnt be but 10 or 20 yards tops. And i would shoot him behind the shoulders nothing fancy.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Second to accuracy would be penetration - Right ?
Old 02-21-2017, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Second to accuracy would be penetration - Right ?
Not only penetration but reliable expansion and tissue damage. The problem I have with a lot of the high BC bullets are either blowing up or penciling through.

Did Dave ever get tips to work reliably in the Controlled Fracturing bullets to give them a higher BC Tom?
Old 02-22-2017, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
BC really means nothing to me. I worry more about bullet expansion and tissue damage from the original hit. Another thing that is just as important is accuracy.
+2. I couldn't tell you the BC of any of the bullets I use. At less than 200yds for all my shots, the things cayugad mentioned are all I really care about. That and price.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

[QUOTE=super_hunt54;4295144]Not only penetration but reliable expansion and tissue damage. The problem I have with a lot of the high BC bullets are either blowing up or penciling through.......QUOTE]

Maybe the original question could have included what type or how high the BC? I would imagine that some may think a high BC is anything over .300 comparing them to bullets with .180. Others may consider a .230 or .250 a high BC
There are so many GREAT bullets available, many of which perform flawlessly and repeatedly. It all boils down to proper shot placement.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Did Dave ever get tips to work reliably in the Controlled Fracturing bullets to give them a higher BC Tom?
The only bullet that i know of or remember that a tip works increasing BC is the 200grn Bloodline. I actually should send some to Ron to test with tips. Rons testing is a lot better then mine. Ill work on doing that soon.

Sabotloader should chime in to. But i think the 200grn Bloodline is it so far.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

[QUOTE=BarnesAddict;4295171]
There are so many GREAT bullets available, many of which perform flawlessly and repeatedly. It all boils down to proper shot placement.
Your 100% right in what your saying, i could never argue that. But i don't shoot as good as you, and i don't always wait for ideal situations when hunting. So that's why i use the best bullet possible to harvest game.

My philosophy is no doubt wrong, and mainly cause i get excited. And im in situations all the time were i don't have a great rest as well. But ive never ever had to track an animal Elk or Deer with a Bloodline bullet. NEVER!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.