Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Powder Volume to Weight >

Powder Volume to Weight

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powder Volume to Weight

Old 02-16-2017, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
If you fill the tube to the 120 grain mark - according to that volume measure it is 120 grains of BH, but when you weight on a scale it weighs right at 90 grains. And according to the conversion it should weigh right at 84 grains. So the tubes and the graduations on the tube you would be loading more the graduation line indicates. But... it is also consistent each time you use the tube.

So in short - loading the tube to the 120 line you would produce a load somewhat heavier than the 120 you thought you were getting. That would compute out to about 128 grain load of BH.
Gotcha, thanks
Old 02-16-2017, 07:48 PM
Banned

84 grains weight blackhorn209 equals 120 grains volume. Your measures are off.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

The trick to using the Blackhorn vials is to tip them over, up side down, with powder in them. Right them, then read the amount of powder. When one does this the marks are kinda 'correct'.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

This is an interesting topic of discussion to say the least. So I might as well throw in my two cents. In so much as we all pretty much know each ML has its own pet load/charge and we all strive for consistency - here's an idea to throw out there and two different ways to approach it:
1. Take the volume measure of your choice and use it to determine your most accurate charge at the range. Then use that volume measure and weigh several charges at home on your scale. Use the average weight, load some tubes up and confirm on the range.
2. Using the appropriate conversion ratio, weight several charges of different weights just as you would load different cases with different charges for a CF and from those determine your most accurate load. When done, use it or see where it comes to on your volume measure for later reference.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually do the second method of yours Bronko. I have several tubes that I weigh out the charges and fill. Usually carry 10 or so out on a hunt.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

I carry pre-weighed tubes also. But that's not exactly what I meant by #2 above.
What I meant was, using the .7 weight factor for BH209, is to weigh different volume charges (90, 100, 110, 120 by volume) by their weight. (63, 70, 77, & 84) and shoot them at the range to see what is the most accurate in your rifle with that particular projectile. A weighed charge is more consistent than a charge by volume but if you run short you can then throw a volume charge and be pretty close.
That is what I meant by following the same practice as a CF by filling several different cases of the same powder in different increments to tweak a load.

Last edited by bronko22000; 02-17-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Powder measures are all over the place, especially the u-vue types. This is the only measure i use:

http://www.eabco.net/Thompson-Center...e_p_13724.html

Did a lot of testing of weighed charges. Should have used the time for a productive purpose. Any small increase in accuracy with weighed charges was not worth the trouble.

In the 60s and 70s i went to a lot of black powder shoots. Most contestants measured their powder with an open top measure. The measure was filled slightly over full and then "struck off" with a finger; no shaking, no tapping no nothing else.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by falcon
Any small increase in accuracy with weighed charges was not worth the trouble.
Falcon I guess its just one of my peculiarities but I like to squeeze out every bit of accuracy I can with whatever I'm shooting. I take pride in my shooting and strive to do the best I can. The way I see it the best I can get at the range will help under actual hunting conditions when human error is usually magnified under stress/excitement.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

[QUOTE=falcon;4294639]Powder measures are all over the place, especially the u-vue types. This is the only measure i use:

http://www.eabco.net/Thompson-Center...e_p_13724.html

Did a lot of testing of weighed charges. Should have used the time for a productive purpose. Any small increase in accuracy with weighed charges was not worth the trouble.

In the 60s and 70s i went to a lot of black powder shoots. Most contestants measured their powder with an open top measure. The measure was filled slightly over full and then "struck off" with a finger; no shaking, no tapping no nothing else.[/QUOTE]

Yep - totally agree... that is the same thing I found also. External atmospheric have a far greater effect than +/- a few grains of powder. BP and BP subs do not show the same pressure increase or decrease as does smokeless powders. since I was a re-loader for so many years it really rook me awhile to figure BP out.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

You guys are probably right and I'm not arguing that. Maybe its just a confidence issue. But whatever helps I'm all for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.