HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   new cva (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/411693-new-cva.html)

Grouse45 02-05-2017 12:02 PM

I'm not sure why everyone gets bent out of shape when someone tells there opinion on whatever. 1874sharpshooter did have some serious problems with them awhile back. I remember him posting about it. And like he said, he won't buy another CVA cause of the support. That's his true opinion, and he can buy what he wants!!

Muley Hunter 02-05-2017 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Grouse45 (Post 4293245)
I'm not sure why everyone gets bent out of shape when someone tells there opinion on whatever. 1874sharpshooter did have some serious problems with them awhile back. I remember him posting about it. And like he said, he won't buy another CVA cause of the support. That's his true opinion, and he can buy what he wants!!

Are you getting bent out of shape? :)

Grouse45 02-05-2017 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 4293246)
Are you getting bent out of shape? :)

At my wife😉

bronko22000 02-05-2017 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by super_hunt54 (Post 4293240)
Though their reasons for quality drop was because of old worn out machinery and tooling and quality was suffering even before the takeover.

Sh54 I don't believe that for one minute. That was Remington's excuse. Marlin was still turning out quality rifles. My cousin was looking at a couple 1895 Guide Guns recently made by "Remlin" and cut the back of his fingers on the lever. The edges of the lever were that sharp. They never bothered to deburr/polish them. He told me the quality was no where near what mine was. ONe thing I don't like about my Guide Gun is that idiotic cross bolt safety. I know the reason behind it. But I never use mine. I'm even thinking about having it removed and replaced with a "dummy" button.
As for CVA CS I never had any problems with my rifles. But I did call them for information and got some advice on my Accura's fining pin bushing and they sent me bunch of O-rings at no charge. A cheap item but still.....

Muley Hunter 02-05-2017 01:25 PM

I never asked for o-rings, but they sent me shims for free everytime I asked.

bronko22000 02-05-2017 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 4293254)
I never asked for o-rings, but they sent me shims for free everytime I asked.

Thats what I asked for too Pete. But when I called they didn't have any available and sent me the O-rings.
I really think they are reluctant to send the shim kits. They told me the only reason they had them is that early in production there was a machining program error and some of the bushing holes were machined too deep by a couple thousands.

super_hunt54 02-05-2017 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4293252)
Sh54 I don't believe that for one minute. That was Remington's excuse. Marlin was still turning out quality rifles. My cousin was looking at a couple 1895 Guide Guns recently made by "Remlin" and cut the back of his fingers on the lever. The edges of the lever were that sharp. They never bothered to deburr/polish them. He told me the quality was no where near what mine was. ONe thing I don't like about my Guide Gun is that idiotic cross bolt safety. I know the reason behind it. But I never use mine. I'm even thinking about having it removed and replaced with a "dummy" button.
As for CVA CS I never had any problems with my rifles. But I did call them for information and got some advice on my Accura's fining pin bushing and they sent me bunch of O-rings at no charge. A cheap item but still.....

Wasn't just Rem's excuse Clem. It was an absolute fact. The last 2 years or so of Marlins productions before Rem buyout turned out some pretty crappy rifles. I looked at 3 or 4 when I heard about the buyout on the horizon and saw for myself the poor quality in comparison to their better days. I'm not saying ALL their rifles were shoddy, but they turned out an exceptionally higher number of poorly crafted rifles for 2-3 years prior to the buyout.

And I too can't STAND that crossbolt safety. Dang near missed out on an exceptional Buck because I forgot about the damn thing being on. Pulled the hammer, pulled the trigger, and nothing. Took me a second to even remember the damn thing was there much less that I had stupidly engaged it earlier. It's on, or rather WAS on one of my .444's. I used this to replace it. http://www.leverguns.com/articles/ta...olt_safety.htm works great but was a bit of a pain in the rear getting it in. Like the instructional on the site says, it would be better if I'd had 3 hands :D Wife's little hands were a fantastic addition to my tool set :D

ronlaughlin 02-05-2017 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4293256)
.......I really think they are reluctant to send the shim kits. They told me the only reason they had them is that early in production there was a machining program error and some of the bushing holes were machined too deep by a couple thousands.

You should have asked why the shim kit includes two 0.002" shim, not just one, and a 0.005" shim, and two 0.010" shim, and a 0.020" shim. They don't seem reluctant to send shim kits today, seven dollars is all it takes.

falcon 02-05-2017 02:27 PM

i've owned several new CVA guns. Never had any problem with a CVA gun.

TC quality control tanked long before they were bought out. TC could not even get their flagship gun, the Encore, right. That gun had/has so many problems that a another company has a booming business fixing problems with Encores.

Oldtimr 02-05-2017 02:33 PM

That cross bolt safety cost me a deer. The first year I used my 45-70 guide gun on the first day of doe season I was in my tree stand with my grandson when a really big doe came buy and stopped at about 25 yards directly in front of my stand. I had my rifle on half cock and put the safety on for good measure because it was there. I raised my rifle and had a perfect sight picture on the crease behind the shoulder, squeezed the trigger and instead of a bang, I heard a clang when the hammer fell onto the cross bolt, I had forgotten the safety was on. To say I was mad at myself for putting the darn thing on would be an under statement. Fortunately about 10 minutes later that doe's twin sister came walking buy, I got the cross hairs behind her shoulder and swung with her and when she was between two trees I squeezed off the shot and she went down. I have not used the safety since on that gun. On all my other guns the safety prevents you from pulling the trigger and I used them religiously.