Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Off Topic: Back up for Colorado Elk >

Off Topic: Back up for Colorado Elk

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Off Topic: Back up for Colorado Elk

Old 01-29-2017, 06:19 PM
  #1  
Nontypical Buck
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Saxonburg Pa
Posts: 3,902
Default Off Topic: Back up for Colorado Elk

I've been kicking around buying a NULA in .308cal for a back up gun in Colorado. Well after a lot of researching and kicking around different CF rifles I bought a Savage lightweight hunter. It's a 5.5lb rifle. The main reason was very simple for me. The barrel not touching the stock out on the fore end. The NULA barrels actually use the stock to strengthen there light weight barrels by touching the stock. I've always new this since I own one, but I like the savage way a little better. I don't doubt the NULA would be more accurate and it's a custom gun, but I'm a hunter and Moa is good enough for me.




If you look at this photo you will see what I mean with the barrel in relation to the stock. It's completely floated the way I like it.









This bullet is probably over kill for Elk, but I think I'm gonna use it.

http://www.lehighdefense.com/collections/rifle/products/308-winchester-79gr-high-velocity-close-quarters-ammo?variant=3708601284
Grouse45 is offline  
Old 01-29-2017, 06:25 PM
  #2  
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Boncarbo,Colorado
Posts: 9,186
Default

why a 308?
MountainDevil54 is offline  
Old 01-29-2017, 06:33 PM
  #3  
Nontypical Buck
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Saxonburg Pa
Posts: 3,902
Default

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54 View Post
why a 308?
Well it was between a 270 and 308. I've just always preferred the short action 308. I have a 7MM-08, 30-06, 300 win mag, and a 270, but just can't find a good bullet for them in the little testing I've done. I have two bullets I really like for the 308 so will see. But I gotta test them this winter to make sure. If I'm not happy with them I'll just take another inline instead.
Grouse45 is offline  
Old 01-30-2017, 12:12 AM
  #4  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Irvine, KY
Posts: 157
Default

Personally I really like the 308 win. For factory ammo the 165 Fusion would be my choice. Everything I've ever shot with the 308 and fusion ammo has been DRT.
Slowburn is offline  
Old 01-30-2017, 04:17 AM
  #5  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 458
Default

Tom, man that is really a floated bbl! Grin. As far as caliber, the 308 or any of the other calibers you have would have been just fine for Elk. But if you were going to buy a lightweight rifle and a new caliber, I would have gone with the 280Rem! LOL Don't know if you can tell, but I love my 280. GRIN I remember a old Remington article on the 280. "The 280Rem, it closes the gap between the 270 and 30-06 and out performs them both!"

Anyway, Good Luck on you Elk hunt! Can't wait to see more pictures.
edmehlig is offline  
Old 01-30-2017, 05:34 AM
  #6  
Boone & Crockett
 
bronko22000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 11,978
Default

Grouse you are probably going to tick off a lot of members posting this here instead of the "Guns" forum and I'm surprised it hasn't been moved yet! But that's a nice looking rifle. I owned a 116 a while back and although the trigger is nice it really messed me up on a good buck a couple years ago. I prefer a light trigger and when I busted him out of cover I shoulder the rifle and applied pressure to the trigger only to take up the slack of the Accutrigger. By the time the rifle went off it was a complete miss. I now use a Tikka T3 when hunting with a CF.
And for those of you that frown on shooting running game. I don't encourage it and its not for everyone. But, and I'm not bragging, if you've been around guns and shot as much as I have then you know its not that hard to do.
bronko22000 is offline  
Old 01-30-2017, 07:19 AM
  #7  
Nontypical Buck
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Saxonburg Pa
Posts: 3,902
Default

Originally Posted by bronko22000 View Post
Grouse you are probably going to tick off a lot of members posting this here instead of the "Guns" forum and I'm surprised it hasn't been moved yet! But that's a nice looking rifle. I owned a 116 a while back and although the trigger is nice it really messed me up on a good buck a couple years ago. I prefer a light trigger and when I busted him out of cover I shoulder the rifle and applied pressure to the trigger only to take up the slack of the Accutrigger. By the time the rifle went off it was a complete miss. I now use a Tikka T3 when hunting with a CF.
And for those of you that frown on shooting running game. I don't encourage it and its not for everyone. But, and I'm not bragging, if you've been around guns and shot as much as I have then you know its not that hard to do.
I think people are smart enough to know this forum is dead. And if those members you talk about post more you might see topics moved. But if you paid a little more attention to this board you would notice most off topic posts don't get moved.

The accu-trigger is probably the easiest trigger there is to adjust. And the reason behind the accu-trigger is safety. It keeps the gun from being fired if dropped or banged for example. Very good design and very easy to use. I suggest you get more familiar with your weapons before using them hunting.

And as far as running game, I know people do it. But not me, just no reason in my mind to ever do it. I guess that's why I never like driving Deer.
Grouse45 is offline  
Old 01-30-2017, 09:15 AM
  #8  
Nontypical Buck
 
super_hunt54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,695
Default

DANNNNNGGGGG they shaved a TON of metal outta that receiver!!!

Tom, that bullet aint even fit for whitetail let alone Elk!!! You sure you linked the right one? 79 grain aluminium core? And you are calling that overkill??? That bullet is a personal defense MAN killer! Designed for weak penetration and rapid expansion. It MIGHT get through a rib shot but I wouldn't trust that weak little bugger anywhere near a shoulder. It's designed to basically blow up inside a HUMAN target and not pass through. And lets face it, we aint built anywhere close to the toughness of an Elk body!
super_hunt54 is offline  
Old 01-30-2017, 09:44 AM
  #9  
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Boncarbo,Colorado
Posts: 9,186
Default

Originally Posted by Grouse45 View Post
I think people are smart enough to know this forum is dead.
I've been saying that for years now but always get some weather excuse or fishing excuses Not so!

Not sure why there are no range reports.

Good looking rifle btw. I just finished my Mosin Nagant build, so I am all set for rifle season. More like range shooting because my muzzleloaders always go where i go lol.
MountainDevil54 is offline  
Old 01-30-2017, 09:55 AM
  #10  
Nontypical Buck
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Saxonburg Pa
Posts: 3,902
Default

Originally Posted by super_hunt54 View Post
DANNNNNGGGGG they shaved a TON of metal outta that receiver!!!

Tom, that bullet aint even fit for whitetail let alone Elk!!! You sure you linked the right one? 79 grain aluminium core? And you are calling that overkill??? That bullet is a personal defense MAN killer! Designed for weak penetration and rapid expansion. It MIGHT get through a rib shot but I wouldn't trust that weak little bugger anywhere near a shoulder. It's designed to basically blow up inside a HUMAN target and not pass through. And lets face it, we aint built anywhere close to the toughness of an Elk body!
Yes you are correct!! But not sure why it wouldn't work
Like that on game?? But if not there's a 140grn CF bullet I like which I know that will work.
Grouse45 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.