Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Barnes T-EZ

Old 01-10-2017, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

They don't get much larger......

Old 01-10-2017, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used the TEZ for years. (250g) and have never experienced it not expanding that I am aware of. That being said, I've never recovered a bullet. The closest shot I had was about 10 yards. He basically death stumbled for about 20 yards and that was it.

I can't really explain what you experienced. I will say though, I do prefer the Expander over the TEZ but I have 100% confidence in the TEZ.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
Its called penciling, I believe what happens some times with Barnes is that the hollow point fills with hide and hair and the bullet refuse to open, they also can have problems opening at long range because it takes more velocity than other bullets to open.
You might take a good close look at the Lehigh made bullets especially the Bloodline !
I don't remember exactly which bullets they were, but when Ron was doing his water jug tests, he was using plywood covered with a commercial carpet as an initial impact medium. What I do remember is that there were a couple of bullets that, while penetrating extremely well, failed to open. When recovered, the hollow points were filled with carpet material. I'm almost certain they were the Barnes bullets but not certain if they were the T-EZ or the Expander though.

As far as the Lehigh and Bloodline (made for Knight by Lehigh) bullets go, I have personal experience as well as the few deer my Daughter has downed with them. Flawless terminal performance on the 3 Doe and Big ole bruiser buck I got this year with the 220gr .458 Lehighs. Flawless performance on the 2 Doe and huge bodied Buck the daughter got at over 200 yards (same bullet) this year with her Tc Impact and last year an outstanding old Buck with a 220gr Bloodline out of my little ole Hawken. The only deer to take a step for her out of all 4 was the one that she nailed at over 200. And it only went around 50 feet or so. Was doing the dirty nose shuffle about the whole way.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

It's been several months since I last-read an issue with the TEZ performance. I would stick with the TEZ and you probably won't complain about them again, for years-to-come.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:21 AM
Typical Buck

i use both the 290 tez & the 300 gr expanders tez's i use for long distance & expanders @ 50 yrds or less both have worked well for me
however the buck i shot @ over 100 yrds acted as if i missed it ran about 60 yrds & piled up.never really expanded well but did it's job & put him down. my son had the same problem about 2 yrs ago shot a doe & she gave her death call but never recoved deer.had a ton of hair & very little blood.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Regardless of the bullet, the whole key is: Shot placement

Place a marble in the right spot and its a dead deer.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:45 AM
Spike

So, I was lucky enough to get a shot at another deer last evening. Shot was right behind the shoulder through the lungs. Entry hole was the size of the bullet, exit wound was measured at almost 1 1/2 inches. Wound channel was excellent. Shot was at 97 yards. Bullet worked flawlessly.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:23 AM
Fork Horn

My family and I have shot many deer with the Barnes TMZ/TEZ bullets. I have only recovered 4. All classic mushrooms. These 4 were shot slow to fast (MV 1500 to 2700fps), close range to long-range (30yds to 304yds). These are not arranged in any order. I have never experienced no expansion. I have seen great blood trails, very sparse blood trails, and two no blood trails, but it was all shot placement.

Most likely, you will never have to worry about finding a stray petal in your steak from one of these bulletscompared to a CF bullet.

Last edited by BuckDoeHunter; 01-12-2017 at 10:12 AM.