Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight Mountaineer 45 cal FT >

Knight Mountaineer 45 cal FT

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Mountaineer 45 cal FT

Old 12-24-2016, 01:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Knight Mountaineer 45 cal FT

Early this month I was able to acquire a new to me Knight Mountaineer 45 cal. - fast twist.

I finally go some time to make some modifications and check the rifle out.

Knight included a used/shot primer with the rifle - It was really not clean some my first project was to shim the breech plug. To my surprise it took a 0.015" shim to get the crush on a W209 that I wanted. After installation out to the garage to test the primers. The small photo in the composite picture shows the results of the shimming. Really nice clean primers.

The next I work on today was bore diameter... I was surprised how tight this bore is. I ran a couple of bullets through a .451 resizer and they feel to tight to push thru. I have not actually tried to push them through yet. I am of the belief the bore might be .4512/3" - tighter than any of the 3 other 45's I have. I do not have any Parkers on hand but I am thinking they will fit just right.

After installing the scope and bore sighting, I ran the rifle to the farm to do some shooting. The whole goal here was just to shoot and get it good enough to hit clay pigeons at 100 yards, plus at the same time heat the bore up enough to cure the Bore Coat in the barrel.

FOR ME, I did find that the factory stock was a bit to bulky! If I were a stand hunter - the stock would be a very good stock to work off of sticks.

Today I worked with the rifle to find a stock that I would feel comfortable hunting with.

The rifle with scope weighs 9 lbs. 8 oz. I removed the factory stock and installed a Knight TH composite stock. This stock really made it comfortable to carry in my hand. It shouldered and pointed really well. Weight with the composite 9 lbs. 4 oz. I was sure it would weight less than that - it felt less but it all turns out the factory laminate stock is lighter than I thought.

I decided to try one more option. I remove a Knight Kevlar stock from a ULite and installed that. That reduce the weight to 8 lbs. 11 oz. The stock is a fatter than the composite TH and far less bulky than the factory laminate TH. I have opted to leave the Kevlar stock on for hunting. Were I shooting target I would switch back to the laminate.

I guess I should relay when I was shooting at the farm I was shooting 40x200 Lehigh/Bloodlines in a Tan MMP sabot. Pushed by 120 grains T7-2F. The shimming of the BP worked perfect as the W209's came out clean as a whistle...

Here are some pics of this mornings weight reduction

Last edited by sabotloader; 12-24-2016 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-25-2016, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

I did the same on resizing but after shooting the barrel set in and the .451 loaded wright out of the box fine.
Old 12-25-2016, 05:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by a1smokepole
I did the same on resizing but after shooting the barrel set in and the .451 loaded wright out of the box fine.
Gosh that would be nice... I will get some more rounds through it and try again
Old 12-26-2016, 03:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Looks good Mike.

Al