Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Re using a bullet that was pushed out. >

Re using a bullet that was pushed out.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Re using a bullet that was pushed out.

Old 12-23-2016, 04:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default Re using a bullet that was pushed out.

Do any of you (or all of you) reuse a bullet that is manually unloaded from a ML? I always tear down my ML at the end of the season and use the ramrod to push the load out. I usually pitch the pellets but was curious if there is any reason not to reload the bullet next season.
Old 12-23-2016, 04:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've never done that, but I don't know that it would hurt anything. I always fire the load at a target and that way I know the rifle is still on the button when I clean and put it away until the next use.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by flyinlowe
Do any of you (or all of you) reuse a bullet that is manually unloaded from a ML? I always tear down my ML at the end of the season and use the ramrod to push the load out. I usually pitch the pellets but was curious if there is any reason not to reload the bullet next season.
I often re-use the bullet that has been pushed out if it is not visibly damaged. If not for hunting at least for some recreational range shooting.

The sabot I also re-use but never for hunting - it is very usable for target practice recreational shooting.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by sabotloader
I often re-use the bullet that has been pushed out if it is not visibly damaged. If not for hunting at least for some recreational range shooting.

The sabot I also re-use but never for hunting - it is very usable for target practice recreational shooting.
That is exactly what I was going to say
Old 12-24-2016, 02:07 AM
Typical Buck

i did a test doing the same but used it on a deer & yes that deer went down like a ton of bricks . actually it was'nt a test it was because i left some of my loads back home over 200 miles away & was starting fresh load of bh209 due to the previous day it was wet & damp however i shot aprox 75 yrds away & hit the mark deer was drt but if i had another load i probably would of put a new bullet & sabot in fresh
Old 12-24-2016, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by flyinlowe
A conical resued for hunting/..... No. Use it at the range.
If it's a sabot/bullet, replace the plastic sabot for hunting.
Never reuse the pellets for hunting. Always use fresh and non-contaminated pellets.

I shoot my MLs everyday hunting BTW..... most times twice a day.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I only use jacketed bullets and a properly fitting loading jag. I tried saving some and target shooting with one in each group to see if I would get any fliers and since I did not I use the bullet and the 209 with out any second thoughts, I do throw out the powder in what ever form.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:16 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys, that was my first thought to use it at the range. Hopefully it shoot straight so I then don't have to wander if it is the bullet or something else.