Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Virginia mz hunt

Old 11-21-2016, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default Virginia mz hunt

What a great hunt this year in Virginia. I was using my my Knight mk85, 110 equiv of triple 7 and a 260gr nosler bullet. Friday night on the 11th the temp was in the 50's but bucks were in serious chase mode. I had a 6 pointer with a nice wide rack chase a doe about 70 yards from my stand. After the shot the deer took about 4 steps and flopped right over. This was my first night of the hunt and I had a nice deer. Hunted the same spot Saturday- saw deer all day but no shots. Monday morning the temp was about 30 with about a 3 mph wind. Usually the wind is howling in the mountains this time of year. About 9am I have a doe come screaming past me. Twenty minutes later a beautiful 7 pointer comes in about 125 yards away. In the excitement I thought I had an open shot. I fired and have no idea what I hit between the deer and myself. I am reloading as fast as I can with the deer now walking straight to me. It stops 70 yards broadside and I am shaking good now trying to get my ramrod back in without the deer hearing it. He never moved from being broadside out in a very open spot in the woods. I hit it right through the lungs. When the smoke cleared it was laying right there. After a few hundred "thank you Lords" expressed I climbed down to my best deer ever. My Virginia season was over in 3 days.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:23 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the bucks! You still have doe tags to fill, they are better eating than a stinky ole buck an makes for a better herd overall.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:48 AM
Fork Horn

I agree. I am going back Friday since its doe day Saturday in the west of blue ridge area. I love it when you get to see the rut scenario play out each time i went. It was the most chasing I have seen in years. Does were like pinballs bouncing through the woods each day I went in.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Great story deer665. I could picture you "shaking good now trying to get my ramrod back in without the deer hearing it". Congratulations.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

I always put 2 musket caps in each of my speedloaders. With the deer walking straight at me I actually dropped both caps from 35 feet up in a treestand. Thank the good Lord i always keep a 2 speedloaders in my pocket. I have not experienced a heart pumping hunt like this in years. Every big deer I have ever shot was with my mk85.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:21 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by deer655
I agree. I am going back Friday since its doe day Saturday in the west of blue ridge area. I love it when you get to see the rut scenario play out each time i went. It was the most chasing I have seen in years. Does were like pinballs bouncing through the woods each day I went in.
Same here! I saw more bucks chasing this year than others for some reason, an it was alot hotter than normal too. I'm going out this evening trying to see whats moving after this last cold front came through, the wind was terrible up till this morning! But all my leaves are gone from the yard...
Old 11-22-2016, 07:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Congratulations on a great harvest and a lot of good winter meat. That is some good shooting there!
Old 11-27-2016, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice story and hunt. congrats pal.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice hunt story; congrats on the bucks.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice job, congrats! Got any pics?