Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Anatomy of a hunt

Old 10-19-2016, 03:23 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by muzzlestuffer
I think that gun looks familiar nice job man!
. Must have been the Super Safari conversion that made the difference .
Old 10-19-2016, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
. Must have been the Super Safari conversion that made the difference .
I never even knew you shot it yet !
Old 10-19-2016, 04:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

That was a really great and enjoyable read. I almost felt I was walking beside you (aching just as much)! Congratulations on your elk. Some mighty fine eating there friend.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congratulations Chet. Beautiful pics and great story!! Its one of the few ive taken the time to read it all.

I hope you send a copy to Doc also.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful story. Very well written and enjoyable to read. Hope to one day get a chance to hunt Elk. They are starting to build up some here in Va. but probably a long way off before we can draw tags.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Imagine the feeling that came over you when you saw them three elk was indescribable. The feeling that came over you when you saw the elk on the ground must have been really really indescribable.

It really irritates me when people drive trails that are closed to motorized. When i am walking a trail, and a person drives up to me, on a trail not intended for motorized vehicle, i find it difficult to be cordial.

Ed' bullet from the elk looks very much like Ed' bullet we caught the summer before last, in our trap.

This summer, and fall, i saw one elk is all. Did manage to count coup on him.

It didn't take long to get the elk to the truck. How many trips did you make, to move the elk the 0.7 mile?

Old 10-20-2016, 09:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Great write up of the hunt. Congrats on the nice elk.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:20 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks everyone for the kind words . It was a great experience in spite of the physical difficulties.
Ron, I had a big beaver tail sled . We were able to haul all the meat and head out in one trip. Then the boys made a second trip because I couldn't find the teeth I had cut out to leave at the check station . I finally found them right at the truck where they had fallen out of my pocket when I was getting my keys out . The sled was great but when lifting it over some downed trees it cracked so I guess it was a little to much weight . It sure was nice that it was mostly downhill . We were definitely blessed in the location that we shot her in .
Old 10-20-2016, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

The downhill with the sled wasn't all that easy i imagine. Them elk have busted a lot of sleds is my guess.

By teeth i presume you mean the tusks? The animal looks like the teeth may have a little color, and aren't hollow. Can you take a picture?

It is possible you may have ruined them boys for life. They may have developed a need to move to Montana, where one can purchase a tag every year, for just a few dollar. Imagine they will talk about this hunt, for quite some time.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
The downhill with the sled wasn't all that easy i imagine. Them elk have busted a lot of sleds is my guess.

By teeth i presume you mean the tusks? The animal looks like the teeth may have a little color, and aren't hollow. Can you take a picture?

It is possible you may have ruined them boys for life. They may have developed a need to move to Montana, where one can purchase a tag every year, for just a few dollar. Imagine they will talk about this hunt, for quite some time.

Raiseum right and send them to Colorado. Elk huntin galore and lord knows the state needs some better brains with all the Californians that have moved in there!

..[/QUOTE]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.