HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   No Deer Yet But Killed A Hog (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/409408-no-deer-yet-but-killed-hog.html)

falcon 10-15-2016 08:42 AM

No Deer Yet But Killed A Hog

Today is the first day of Ft. Sill conventional muzzleloader season. No fire sights, no sabots or scopes allowed; only round balls or conicals are legal.

Was sitting watching a game plot from the ground when a 225-250 pound boar hog crossed in front of me. Made the BAAAAAAAA sound and the hog stopped.

Heard the .50 round ball hit the hog. Hog took off and ran ok for about 15 yards and started staggering. Hog went into the high weeds and grass, kicked awhile and lay still.

Never even went to look at that hog, just left it. In a couple hours the buzzards were circling. i'm tired of field dressing and skinning hogs.

MountainDevil54 10-15-2016 08:58 AM

ahhhh Floyd! I can taste that pulled pork already man!

younggun308 10-15-2016 09:50 AM

If you weren't going to go through the trouble of dressing him and eating him, why'd you shoot? I understand a dead hog's better than a live one most of the time, given the damage they do, but still the idea of just leaving it to rot doesn't sit well.

falcon 10-15-2016 11:04 AM

If you weren't going to go through the trouble of dressing him and eating him, why'd you shoot?

Wild hogs are an invasive species that have overrun much of SW Oklahoma. They are thriving at the expense of deer, small game and ground nesting birds.

Ft. Sill did good job controlling the wild hogs for years. Then something happened: Maybe they stopped shooting hogs from helos or something. The compartment i hunted in today has been torn up by wild hogs.

So far this year i've field dressed, and given away at least 40 adult hogs. Left some big boars lay too.

super_hunt54 10-15-2016 11:51 AM

As much as the conservationist in me hates to say this, falcon really didn't do a bad thing. For 1: Big old boars that size are pretty rank eating unless they have been getting groceries. For 2: Since there are other hogs around the area, trust me, that carcass won't last long. Between the other hogs and the yotes it will be gone by dawn. Help fatten up the other good eatin hogs. :D

MountainDevil54 10-15-2016 03:36 PM

shoot, my dad after all the surgery and hell hes been through over the past 2 months keeps saying.. ask floyd when a good time to come down to hunt hogs will be!

yeah ok, ok. I'll ask....

Once he eases off the blood thinners because damned if hes going out hunting while on them!

Semisane 10-15-2016 06:54 PM

Kill them on sight, whether you want the meat or not. Every other game animal will thank you. It's better to let them rot than let them pass.

falcon 10-17-2016 04:20 AM

shoot, my dad after all the surgery and hell hes been through over the past 2 months keeps saying.. ask floyd when a good time to come down to hunt hogs will be!

Sent you a PM on FML.

zmason1002 10-17-2016 09:50 PM

Just like a coyote in Iowa, people shoot on site and don't plan to eat them. There is an open season on them also. I have no issues with him shooting a hog and leaving it. If its legal who cares.

Semisane 10-18-2016 07:06 AM