Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
CVA Accura MR failed my hunting test. >

CVA Accura MR failed my hunting test.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Accura MR failed my hunting test.

Old 10-11-2016, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

You need to talk to Mike. He uses #11 caps and says he gets no crud ring at all with T7.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I'm not having any ignition problems with the standard Win 209 primers and either Pyrodex RS or Black MZ powders. But I may give the T7 primers a shot.
I'm not quite sure if its true or not but I read a couple years ago that standard 209 primers are too hot which causes the bullet to make a minor jump a little in the bore before the main charge ignites.
The primers for MLs aren't supposed to be as hot, eliminating this jump.
Cecil Epps use to say this very thing a few years back maybe even now. I have never found it to be true unless the powder under the load is damp or fails to ignite right away... guess it goes back to the old thing keep yer powder dry!
Old 10-11-2016, 01:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Grouse45
That's absolutely false. But when i shot 777 i preferred the 410 primers cause the crud ring wasn't as bad.

I really agree with you on this one - I really prefer the Remington 209-4 primer - wish they still made them...

The odd thing!!! with a Lehigh plug they ignite BH just fine also... all depends on how well your breech plug breathes... or passes gas!

During the Idaho ML season I am required to use caps - I use a MAG #11 cap or a 1075+ German cap and do not need to run a damp or spit patch at all.... But, I do not have any petroleum oils in the barrel and no Teflon!

Last edited by sabotloader; 10-11-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:34 PM
Banned

what ever happened to those things that shot pistol or rifle primers to rid the crud ring? Did those things ever work?
Old 10-11-2016, 01:52 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
what ever happened to those things that shot pistol or rifle primers to rid the crud ring? Did those things ever work?
Yep they work real good . I have one for an Omega .
Old 10-11-2016, 02:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Looks like this post took a turn to another topic!! I was just curious about the primers. I use std Win 209s without any issues. I do get some blowback but that doesn't bother me. I always hunt on a clean barrel and never have any ignition issues.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
I really agree with you on this one - I really prefer the Remington 209-4 primer - wish they still made them...

The odd thing!!! with a Lehigh plug they ignite BH just fine also... all depends on how well your breech plug breathes... or passes gas!

During the Idaho ML season I am required to use caps - I use a MAG #11 cap or a 1075+ German cap and do not need to run a damp or spit patch at all.... But, I do not have any petroleum oils in the barrel and no Teflon!
I think I have a couple thousand of them. Remind me after I get back from Colorado I'll get them to you.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:01 AM
Fork Horn

I got my Accura (goose neck) Nitride several months ago and found it to really be a joy to shoot and clean... the breach plug was one of the main reasons because it was so easy to take out and put back in.

I tried several different Power Belts with the same two pellet IMR White Hot load at 50, 100, and 200 yards... I shot 30 times or so that day and only cleaned the breach plug once,,, not because I had any ignition problems,,, but because I wanted to make sure the groups would be as accurate as possible.

Sure there was a little blow by, but not a lot considering the number of shots. All in all, and I have owned quite a few muzzleloaders over the years, I think the CVA Accura is one of the best I have ever shot.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by flint head
I got my Accura (goose neck) Nitride several months ago and found it to really be a joy to shoot and clean... the breach plug was one of the main reasons because it was so easy to take out and put back in.

I tried several different Power Belts with the same two pellet IMR White Hot load at 50, 100, and 200 yards... I shot 30 times or so that day and only cleaned the breach plug once,,, not because I had any ignition problems,,, but because I wanted to make sure the groups would be as accurate as possible.

Sure there was a little blow by, but not a lot considering the number of shots. All in all, and I have owned quite a few muzzleloaders over the years, I think the CVA Accura is one of the best I have ever shot.
Shim the FP housing and you won't have any blowback.