Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

NC hog/deer hunt

Old 10-07-2016, 07:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default NC hog/deer hunt

I got back last night from my hunt. There was a total of 10 guys in camp. My group was myself and 3 other guys (cousin and 2 friends). We hunted Monday evening, Tues and Wed, and Thurs morning.
Monday afternoon was uneventful as no one shot anything.
However, Tuesday morning at very first light I had a boar come into the feeder. I didn't waste any time. I got him in the scope and the Accura barked. The 295 gr Barnes T-EZ pused by 95 gr of Black MZ knocked him flat and all but for a couple kicks never moved. DRT. Shot was 63 yards. Later about 10:30 I looked down another shooting lane and there was a nice doe. I ranged her at 136 yards. Taking a little time I held slightly higher than I normally hold on deer and squeezed off the shot. Again when the smoke cleared she was DRT again. I was feeling pretty cocky about now...lol. But nothing showed the rest of the day. My long time hunting buddy hunted his stand all day and didn't see anything. My other friend saw a couple sows with piglets and didn't shoot at the request of the property owner. Tues evening my cousin shot a nice dry sow.
Wed. I sat in my friend's stand where he sat the day before and didn't see anything while he moved to another. Wouldn't you know it, about 8:30 a doe comes out followed by a fawn. I watched them for about 2-3 mins when a huge doe came out. With no one seeing anything and not much more hunting time left I figured a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. At 56 yards the Accura fired and because of a nice cross wind I saw her running off to the left. Because that was my final animal I called and the guide came to get me and track her. She didn't go far. Maybe 50 yards but it is hard to tell in that tangle you southern boys call woods. My shot was perfect and she was running flat out and when she fell she fell so hard, she snapped her neck! First time in over 50 years of hunting I ever saw anything like that.
This was the worse opening week (muzzleloader) they've had in a long time according to the guides. I guess Matthew may have had a hand in that.
Out of the rest of the group there was only 3 other hogs shot. A sow and 2 piglets! The guides started calling me LC. When I asked they told me it stood for Lucky Clem...

Last edited by bronko22000; 10-07-2016 at 07:05 AM.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like you had a good one! It is always nice when a thunder stick goes off with a confident hunter!
Old 10-07-2016, 08:37 AM
Dominant Buck

sounds like Mr. Lucky there has a good shooting rifle. Was a very good read. Congratulations on the harvest of game.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well done. I've been lucky and I've been on the other side. I prefer lucky.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd rather be "lucky" with meat on the ground than an "expert" buying meat at the grocery store Good job Clem!!
Old 10-07-2016, 10:12 AM
Banned

you mean to tell me that horrible powder actually was able to hit the broad side of a pig and deer!!

LOL great job Clem! Now get out there with patched balls and do some REAL hunting! :P
Old 10-07-2016, 10:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
LOL great job Clem! Now get out there with patched balls and do some REAL hunting! :P
Soon Jon. Our PA early ML season starts on the 15th. My foot surgery is on the 13th. But I'll be up the camp with my .58 caplock.
Even if I have to hunt out the cabin window or just legally away from the vehicle on crutches. Better than sitting in the house twiddling my thumbs.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bronko:

Congrats on the hog and deer. Good shooting there.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

One thing I forgot to mention on the last doe I shot. I hit her behind the shoulder about center lung. When we walked up to where she was standing there was a chunk of foaming, bloody lung about 3"x4".
Those T-EZ bullets are devastating. I was never able to locate one as all the shots were through and through.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
One thing I forgot to mention on the last doe I shot. I hit her behind the shoulder about center lung. When we walked up to where she was standing there was a chunk of foaming, bloody lung about 3"x4".
Those T-EZ bullets are devastating. I was never able to locate one as all the shots were through and through.

I seen that before. I once shot a doe that I tracked maybe 30 yards into my black Ash/alder bog and when I found her she had a pile of that hanging out her mouth. All I can figure is she ran her lungs out. Kind of gross actually. And that was done with a .54 roundball.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.