Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
265 Lehigh Prototype CF--50g Blackhorn >

265 Lehigh Prototype CF--50g Blackhorn

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

265 Lehigh Prototype CF--50g Blackhorn

Old 09-28-2016, 08:05 PM
Typical Buck

If that's the case, I think these bullets warrant another test at a higher impact velocity.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

A few years ago, a similar bullet i tried, in a similar test, but then using 105g of Blackhorn. That bullet was brass instead of copper. The range was about 60 feet. Follows is what i wrote back in 2010.

Sabotloader loaned me some bullet and sabot. Doing what any one of us would do i put them on top of some powder and shot them out of my rifle. The first one i shot at paper to see where i would hit,and it cut paper almost where i aimed. That done i shot at juice bottles filled with water. The load was 105g BH209 lit by Federal 209a pushing the 303.3g bullet in an orange sabot of unknown origin. The measured diameter of the bullet was 0.457.7". First a picture of the bottles:

The bullet went through all the bottles, bounced off the first board, and was found where x marks the spot.

The spent bullet weighed 217.3g, and looked like this compared to an unfired bullet:

Old 09-29-2016, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Follows is some more information originally posted in 2010. It compares the Bloodline, TEZ, and Gold Dot. The range was about 60 feet; the powder charge was 105g Blackhorn. The Bloodline bullet is similar to the prototype bullet, but is brass, not copper.

Today was the day to film the brass bullet. Pictured below left to right are the brass bullet, the copper bullet, and the gold bullet (gold dot). The camera say it video at 30 frames/second, so i assume the time of each picture is 1/30 second for the first 8 or so, then i skipped some for a time, then went to the end which took about 1.5 seconds for most things to quit happening.

The brass bullet was in an orange sabot and weighed a bit over 303g. The copper bullet was a 290g TEZ. The gold bullet weighed 270g. Range was about 60 feet, and the powder charge was 105g BH209.

After things settled, the brass bullet was found in the phone books. The copper bullet was found in the 5th jug. The gold bullet was inside the 4th jug.