Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Range Report - CVA Optima V2 pistol >

Range Report - CVA Optima V2 pistol

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Range Report - CVA Optima V2 pistol

Old 09-26-2016, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default Range Report - CVA Optima V2 pistol

Yesterday afternoon I decided to set up my equipment and shoot some handguns. First, I wanted to do a preliminary sight in with the 460 at 25 yards. Once that was accomplished, I set up a handgun that I've been itching to shoot - my new CVA Optima V2 pistol:

Although the Optima can handle powder charges from 50 to 100 grains, I decided to start with 80 grains of Blackhorn 209 under a saboted 240 grain XTP. I've read that many people who have tested the Optima found 80 grains to be a decent powder charge with similar bullets. So, I measured 80 grains of BH209 and poured it down the muzzle. I've heard BH209 performs better when the bullet is seated very tightly, so I pressed a saboted XTP down the barrel onto the powder with as much force as I could.

After finding the target through the scope, I gripped the Optima tightly and slowly squeezed the trigger. The gun kicked less than I feared it might, somewhere between my 300 Win Mag Encore and 460 in terms of muzzle jump. It took several shots to get the scope lined up, but once I got it sighted in I was quite surprised at its accuracy. I had a few bullets graze the bullseye, and three bullets made a decent group:

I chronographed the first five shots. They averaged 1486 fps with a standard deviation of 8 fps. The consistency of the velocity despite the somewhat sloppy job I did measuring powder charges was surprising, to say the least. Considering the consistency and potent velocity, I think I'll stick with this load for now.

Other advantages: the trigger. Light, crisp, no creep. It's easily the best unaltered trigger I've ever felt on any gun. The palmsaver ramrod is worth its weight in gold.

Disadvantages: the grip. Even though it didn't kick all that bad, you certainly feel the hard synthetic pistol grip in your hands. I wish it was a bit softer on the rear of the grip, like the Pachmyr Encore grip. Another disadvantage is the gun is kind of unbalanced and unwieldy, although it's admittedly not much worse than a 15" barreled scoped Encore.

Although I only fired ten shots at 25 yards, it's quite clear to me that the Optima has a lot of potential. I'm probably going to limit myself to 50 yards for the time being, but only because of the 2x power scope. With a variable power scope and heavier powder charge, you could definitely stretch its effective range.

Last edited by TN Lone Wolf; 09-26-2016 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-26-2016, 08:04 PM
Dominant Buck

good shooting and a nice looking rig there.