Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Black MZ vs. BH209 >

Black MZ vs. BH209

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Black MZ vs. BH209

Old 09-20-2016, 05:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
Where can you get it for $9.99
Eveywhere i have seen it the price was $22 to $26
I know sportsman warehouse at one time had at $9.99 but i havent seen it there for a while
Sportsman's Warehouse in SC on my way to FL. I got it back in the beginning of August. But the guy behind the counter told me that was their regular price not a sales price. I just checked and right now they are temp sold out. You may want to call the SC store and see if they have any they can send you.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:31 AM
Typical Buck

I'm VERY impressed with BMZ powder & that's NOT an easy task for smoke pole powder as I've been a Savage smokeless owner & lover for over 12yrs. Earlier this summer I drug out my 25+ yr old Knight Wolverine thinking my 16yr old son would be using it this fall. (I've since gotten him a Savage smokeless I got a deal on) I researched the newer powders & BMZ was the one I chose. BH209 wasn't safely recommended in the Wolverines plunger type action. (I used 90grns over a Barnes 250 Expander MZ fired by T7 209s)

I was truly impressed with the ease that BMZ cleaned up with only using patches sprayed with Windex Vinegar. After I was done shooting I shot some brake cleaner on a patch & down the bore but it wasn't needed, the patch came out spotless. I didn't tear down the rifle, I just swabbed it with the Win-Vin patches. After 2wks I tore the rifle down to inspect it & found it spotless. ANY powder that performs properly, cleans up without tearing the rifle down & is easily & reasonably obtained, what's not to like about it?

I suppose were I shooting a magnum inline, enclosed breech gun like a Encore, Impact, Optima etc... sure I'd use max charges of BH209. But for the rest of the front stuffers (including side locks, plunger actions, BP handguns etc...) it's nice to have a modern substitute that is essentially non-corrosive & doesn't require complete tear down to properly clean such arms after use. IMHO that makes BMZ very attractive!
Old 09-21-2016, 07:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Alliant Black MZ does not have the appearance of "gravel". Nor is it dust.

On the left is a photo of powder from my current can of Alliant Black MZ. On the right is Goex Pinnacle 2F.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:14 AM
Fork Horn

Y'all stay out of my Columbia SW... that's my Black MZ powder supply!
Old 09-23-2016, 01:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by flint head
Y'all stay out of my Columbia SW... that's my Black MZ powder supply!
Not to worry Flint I have 50 lbs now. That should hold me over.
As you southern boys say, Y'all can have the rest. LOL
But I must say I do like that store. Even better than Cabelas and no where near as pricey. I'm going to be stopping there again come January and spend a bit more time there and likely build up my credit card balance!
Old 09-25-2016, 05:19 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Not to worry Flint I have 50 lbs now. That should hold me over.
As you southern boys say, Y'all can have the rest. LOL
But I must say I do like that store. Even better than Cabelas and no where near as pricey. I'm going to be stopping there again come January and spend a bit more time there and likely build up my credit card balance!