Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Just talked to Justin @ Knight Rifles >

Just talked to Justin @ Knight Rifles

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Just talked to Justin @ Knight Rifles

Old 09-02-2016, 10:39 AM
Spike

Thumbs up Just talked to Justin @ Knight Rifles

Hey guys, Justin from Knight just called me back about my "way-too high-hittin Mountaineer". He found that at 6" and again at 10" down my barrel, there were a couple of 'loose spots' where the jag pressure test lost resistance due to an inconsistency in the rifling. Closer inspection revealed a slightly thinner section of rifling in these two areas.
He just addressed this same issue a few days ago in a Bighorn rifle as well.

Justin replaced/warrantied my barrel, AND my entire stock so the worn-out recoil pad could be replaced. He'll be test firing it this afternoon, and getting it in the mail back to me all by days end.

What can I say other than, "WOW! Now that's some awesome customer service".

I'll get out & shoot it as soon as I can & re-post my findings. However, I'm sure it'll be lots better then it was.
Jim
Old 09-02-2016, 11:44 AM
Dominant Buck

that is good to hear. That is the kind of customer service one should expect. Especially when a rifle costs as much as come of them do today.

While not a muzzle loader, I once had a Ruger 10/22 that was a Christmas Present. I bet I ran 3000 rounds through that rifle, tried different ammo, and it would not group. I got so disgusted with it, I sold it. The new owner got a good deal. He was a friend of mine that had always admired the rifle and said its inaccuracy was my fault. I told him the rifle was junk.

about three months later he was at my door with the rifle, wanting his money back. He told me it would not group. I had told him when he purchased it, that the rifle was no good. Finally he sent it to Ruger. They had it for about three months. But when it came back that was a tack driver. Funny thing is they never did tell him what the problem with the rifle was.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by jimsmokepole
Hey guys, Justin from Knight just called me back about my "way-too high-hittin Mountaineer". He found that at 6" and again at 10" down my barrel, there were a couple of 'loose spots' where the jag pressure test lost resistance due to an inconsistency in the rifling. Closer inspection revealed a slightly thinner section of rifling in these two areas.
He just addressed this same issue a few days ago in a Bighorn rifle as well.

Justin replaced/warrantied my barrel, AND my entire stock so the worn-out recoil pad could be replaced. He'll be test firing it this afternoon, and getting it in the mail back to me all by days end.

What can I say other than, "WOW! Now that's some awesome customer service".

I'll get out & shoot it as soon as I can & re-post my findings. However, I'm sure it'll be lots better then it was.
Jim
Excellent!
Old 09-02-2016, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would think any company would warranty that. The barrel company will get the barrel back and replace as well. But good news either way!! But I don't think that would affect a saboted bullet at all. Bore size bullets I could see but not saboted bullets. But in the end it won't matter if it shoots the way you like.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:52 PM
Typical Buck

Glad they're taking care of the issue.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

I wish Knight rifles had a distributor in South Africa. I would have liked a .45cal for longer distances in my region, almost semi-desert.
Although with the current exchange rate I guess the rifle would have been out of my price class again.
The sidelock .45(tradition deerhunter) will have to do its best
Old 09-03-2016, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wildboer, if you can line up an Encore you can order a Bergara 45 barrel for it. I like mine it fun to shoot the 250 yd. iron gongs with.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

The big challenge is the suppliers in South Africa and then the availability of propellant.
we have a new supplier of blackpowder, so thats sorted but the most common brand of muzzy's are CVA and Traditions. TC is a little more scarce but that basically covers the available brands.
As I live in the drier region we have to shoot longer distances, between 200-300yards during daytime that is. Its a struggle to get any muzzy to shoot that far except maybe the Knights from what I have seen on videos. Smokeless powders - not available over here...
Old 09-04-2016, 10:39 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by wildeboer
The big challenge is the suppliers in South Africa and then the availability of propellant.
we have a new supplier of blackpowder, so thats sorted but the most common brand of muzzy's are CVA and Traditions. TC is a little more scarce but that basically covers the available brands.
As I live in the drier region we have to shoot longer distances, between 200-300yards during daytime that is. Its a struggle to get any muzzy to shoot that far except maybe the Knights from what I have seen on videos. Smokeless powders - not available over here...
I have shot both tc triumphs and tc omegas at those distances. If you cant get a knight but could get one of the tc's i think it would work for you . My first 2 long range deer ( 234 and 223 yards) were shot with a Triumph . One DRT ,other only went 20 yards .