Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
looking for new .50 ML >

looking for new .50 ML

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

looking for new .50 ML

Old 08-24-2016, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default Cold bore mapping

Map your cold bore shots then simply zero your cold bore shot. It's not likely you'll be using it for suppressing fire. I honestly can't comprehend 9"-18" different impact due to heat after 1 shot.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Listen to Ron and Sabot they are very knowledgeable.
Personally I have shot TC guns since they first came out with the Hawken at the moment I have 6 the two you would be interested in are the Endeavor and the Pro-Hunter both are excellent rifles I automatically change the trigger spring and use a +1 pin but that is not normal for hunting accuracy unless you need to shoot over 150 yds. While I do not care much for bolt action most Knights can be tuned up to shoot as good as any other muzzle loader and you already have one, I would be inclined to look very closely at bedding and mounting and recoil blocks and PM Sabot he knows a lot about Knights.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

What load (charge) and what bullet is trying to be shot from the Mountaineer?
Old 08-25-2016, 03:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know nothing about elk ammo or elk hunting. I have two CVA .50's and I am particularly fond of the stainless V2 Optima, it is a good rifle.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:16 AM
Typical Buck

I'm a T/C guy myself, so I would definitely recommend the Pro Hunter.

However, before spending the money on another muzzleloader, I think it would be best if you did everything in your power to diagnose and fix the issue. Some of the guys here (many of whom are far more knowledgeable than me) have offered excellent suggestions on things to try. But, if you're already dead set on another muzzleloader, well, as I said above. . .

Our T/C Pro Hunter shoots quite well with 3 Triple Seven pellets behind a 250 grain T/C Shockwave, which gives us a muzzle velocity of 2036 fps. Don't know whether you'd want to use that particular load on an elk or not; we've only ever used it for deer hunting. If it tells you anything, my sister used that combination to drop a big buck in his tracks at 221 yards.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
If it were me going to a production manufactured rifle, I believe it would definitely be one that would shoot BH209 and Barnes 290 TMZ or T-EZ bullets. Accurately. Not trying to start a p match, but it wouldn't be a CVA, unless an Apex.
There's also some custom rifles, some in .45cal, along with the Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader. The RUMZ is starting to show some outstanding long range accuracy by more shooters. There's also the Ultimate Muzzleloader, although much more expensive, but extremely accurate at long range.
If you would of said no CVA's I would of said okay, but to say the Apex is an exception is puzzling. The other cva's don't shoot any worse than the Apex and I have owned them all (except the Wolf).
Old 08-25-2016, 01:25 PM
Spike

Hey Barnes Addict, I'm using 120 grs of BH 209 and a 290 gr. Barnes TEZ & Win. 209 777 primer. As I stated before all consecutive shots are DEAD center after that barrel has a touch of warmth.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jimsmokepole
Hey Barnes Addict, I'm using 120 grs of BH 209 and a 290 gr. Barnes TEZ & Win. 209 777 primer. As I stated before all consecutive shots are DEAD center after that barrel has a touch of warmth.
Just guessing, but maybe that T7 primer you're using out of a clean rifle "could" be the contributing factor to that first shot.
If all shots beyond the first initial "clean bore" shot are dead on, I'd believe there's nothing wrong with the rifle itself (knowing only what I've read here).
Its not unusual for any brand rifle (not all) to throw the first or even second shot from a thoroughly cleaned rifle. I just find it exceptionally odd that your rifle is doing what its doing with the first shot. 18" is a considerable distance at 100yds with that first shot, then it brings them all after that to POA? If 10 or 20 rounds all hit POA after that first round and the rifle functions properly, there's another issue going on and maybe its the primer and ignition on the first shot.

Lots of guys get away with just a WIN209 shotgun primer, where I prefer and Western recommends a magnum 209 primer with BH. If it were me, I'd change to a CCI209M or a Federal 209A primer and repeat the process. Same charge, same bullet. Wipe the bore clean of any and ALL lubricant, then snap a couple primers prior to loading the first round to shoot.
Just my 2¢ Good luck.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

120 grs of BH 209 and a 290 gr. Barnes TEZ & Win. 209 777 primer.
That could possibly be a big part of your problem.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:59 PM
Banned

Doubt it. The 777 primers even work in the cva bh209 plugs. They just seem to make bh shoot a whole lot dirtier in the bore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.