Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
looking for new .50 ML >

looking for new .50 ML

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

looking for new .50 ML

Old 08-24-2016, 02:13 PM
Spike

Red face looking for new .50 ML

Hi everyone. Haven't joined forum for awhile. Have had LOTS of trouble w/ my Knight Mountaineer. First shot is ALWAYS too high (9" - 18"). I know this is due to the barrel temp. The colder the temp., the higher the first shot goes. The second shot is always spot on. Too bad the first is generally more important huh?
Last year I shot a cow Elk at 143 yds. I aimed middle & behind shoulder. The shot dropped her & hit just above spine & ruined 4 BS steaks. After she rolled over & stood up, 2nd shot was perfect & finished her off. My stories re. "first shots" out of this gun go on & on.
I'm done with Knight Rifles, esp. after they will not return my calls. Knight loves selling guns, but helping customers... NOPE!

I am looking either at CVA APEX or T/C Pro Hunter FX. Any opinions or ideas are appreciated. Thanks, and may you all bag some nice critters this fall. Jim Smokepole
Old 08-24-2016, 02:47 PM
Banned

Hunt with a fouled bore. Other brands do it as well, but nothing to that extreme.

Originally Posted by jimsmokepole
Hi everyone. Haven't joined forum for awhile. Have had LOTS of trouble w/ my Knight Mountaineer. First shot is ALWAYS too high (9" - 18"). I know this is due to the barrel temp. The colder the temp., the higher the first shot goes. The second shot is always spot on. Too bad the first is generally more important huh?
Last year I shot a cow Elk at 143 yds. I aimed middle & behind shoulder. The shot dropped her & hit just above spine & ruined 4 BS steaks. After she rolled over & stood up, 2nd shot was perfect & finished her off. My stories re. "first shots" out of this gun go on & on.
I'm done with Knight Rifles, esp. after they will not return my calls. Knight loves selling guns, but helping customers... NOPE!

I am looking either at CVA APEX or T/C Pro Hunter FX. Any opinions or ideas are appreciated. Thanks, and may you all bag some nice critters this fall. Jim Smokepole
Old 08-24-2016, 02:53 PM
Dominant Buck

That does sound a little extreme, not that I am doubting you, but you could hunt with a fouled bore. If the second and consecutive shots are right on, that is important. As for a new rifle, I would look at the top of the line CVA rifles then. I am a fan of stainless steel though, and not these "treated" coatings.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:00 PM
Spike

Thanks guys, I did & it seems that leaving the barrel w/ 1 shot through it (fouled) doesn't make too much of a difference. Once I allow the gun to get cold again, it hits high again. I'm pretty sure the barrel is defective. anyways F! Knight. When Gary Knight owned it, his employees would email or call back.
Also wanted to ask CVA & T/C shooters what bullets & propellants or "loads" they like, esp. for Elk. Thanks again, Jim
Old 08-24-2016, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it were me going to a production manufactured rifle, I believe it would definitely be one that would shoot BH209 and Barnes 290 TMZ or T-EZ bullets. Accurately. Not trying to start a p match, but it wouldn't be a CVA, unless an Apex.
There's also some custom rifles, some in .45cal, along with the Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader. The RUMZ is starting to show some outstanding long range accuracy by more shooters. There's also the Ultimate Muzzleloader, although much more expensive, but extremely accurate at long range.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
If it were me going to a production manufactured rifle, I believe it would definitely be one that would shoot BH209 and Barnes 290 TMZ or T-EZ bullets. Accurately. Not trying to start a p match, but it wouldn't be a CVA, unless an Apex.
There's also some custom rifles, some in .45cal, along with the Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader. The RUMZ is starting to show some outstanding long range accuracy by more shooters. There's also the Ultimate Muzzleloader, although much more expensive, but extremely accurate at long range.
Fubar, ive shot plenty of the tez in v2s and optimas with great accuracy. The yellow sabot 290s load super tight but the tez fits perfect.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Fubar, ive shot plenty of the tez in v2s and optimas with great accuracy. The yellow sabot 290s load super tight but the tez fits perfect.
Our definition of accuracy will differ significantly.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

The first thing i would do is free float the barrel, and see if that cure your issue. If free floating doesn't keep the first shot within 2" of the succeeding shots i would purchase a new $360 rifle. Then i would purchase the shim kit, and make the primer of your choice snug, or slightly compressed in the socket when the rifle is in battery. If you shoot Blackhorn powder, you will also want to either modify the breech plug, or purchase a Blackhorn plug.

My bet is this package will kill elk this next season, and the next, and the next.......... out 150 yard. My bet is this rifle won't put the first shot 18" high. Me, i am so sure the first shot won't be 18" high, i am betting $100 it won't.

Me, i have never shot this rifle nor did i stay in a motel last night, but i have shot an Optima several times.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

jimsmokepole - do you still have the Mountaineer? And would you be interested in making it shoot correctly?
Old 08-24-2016, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

Have a CVA Apex and Accura V2 in 50 cal. Both shoot Barnes 250gr TEZ in a Harvester sabot very well with 110gr BH209.

First shot flyer is very frustrating. Our two TC's seem to be the worst with that. The CVA's, my Knight Elite, and custom Remington muzzleloaders don't have first shot flyers.

I remove the oil in the barrels with an alcohol patch followed by a dry patch then pop 3 primers to foul the bore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.