Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Accura at the range for hunting season... >

Accura at the range for hunting season...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Accura at the range for hunting season...

Old 08-21-2016, 05:50 PM
Banned

See that's one thing I learned. Be patient. I'd rather take a direct, facing me check shot than to waste shoulder meat. Its a huge loss due to all the blood shot. Even the hog I hit back in march, its off shoulder had to be thrown away due to the ball just completely ruining it.

I know some shooters that take Texas heart shots.

Im not trigger happy enough to do that.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:21 AM
Fork Horn

[QUOTE=ronlaughlin;4270207]

Ron... if everyone on this board bought ten CVA rifles and 20 packs of Powerbelts it wouldn't make a crap to me.

However, I am a serious Ruger man... so I do think everyone on here should buy a 30-06 No. 1...
Old 08-22-2016, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flint head

Ron... if everyone on this board bought ten CVA rifles and 20 packs of Powerbelts it wouldn't make a crap to me.

However, I am a serious Ruger man... so I do think everyone on here should buy a 30-06 No. 1...

Umm, i never wrote it would make a crap to you. What i noticed when you wrote:
Originally Posted by flint head
......I'm in no way advertising for any company...
Your avatar centimeters away from your statement, was an advertisement for CVA.........and i got a chuckle realizing such.

Me, i am also a Ruger fan, and have had several, however my Number One would be a cartridge with a smaller case, such as a 7-08, or a 6.5 creedmoor, or some such. Any of these would handily kill any Moose, Elk, Antelope, or Deer, with less powder, and recoil than the old tried and true 30-06.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got 7mm-08's Ron and I Moose hunt. I wouldn't use it on Moose as a first choice. It probably could take one down but I'm of a mind for just a bit more lead on the target when it comes to a 1000 pound critter. About the largest grain bullet you can put in a .7mm-08 necked case is 140 grains before you lose case capacity for powder. With the right bullet I'm sure the little 7mm-08 would take one down, I just think .30cal and minimum 150 grain (I've taken a few with .30-30) is the smarter choice. From Elk down to yotes the 7mm-08 is a perfect choice and I love all mine. But for critters in Moose weight, it's just a bit too light.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:57 AM
Banned

7.62x54 for me. Come to think of it, I need to go pick it up! Gunsmith drilled and tapped it for a scope mount. Should be a neat little rifle.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can't believe you guys mentioned the Ruger #1 without mentioning the .405 Win.! But we're getting way off track here. Let the originator use what he wants and post us HIS results and see how they compare.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
I'd never take a shoulder shot on an elk with any bullet, centerfire or muzzle loader. Way to much valuable meat on an elk.
Same here MD. But I won't say never. An animal I want to drop right there I will. I don't even take shoulder shots on deer. Even the lone moose I shot behind the shoulder and he only went 50 yards or so and piled up.
Now my friend swears by them.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

I don't think anyone would consider my avatar an ad for CVA... it's just about being proud of what you shoot and hunt with... I have a Ruger one on most other sites I frequent..

It's like I said before,,, shoot the gun you like,,, shoot the bullet you like. I'm just happy you are out there hunting. I just don't understand where all the rage comes from on CVA and Powerbelt??? maybe it's because they are number one.

I will post my results during this hunting season, good or bad, on here using my CVA Accura... loaded with two White Hots and the 250 grain Aerolite Powerbelt.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nope Flint, my rage comes from first hand experience. Unlike many, I don't rely on the internet for my information on my hunting equipment. I probably send more bullets down range each year than the majority of people on this forum combined. I do a lot of accuracy testing as well as field testing of many brands of bullets in both MLer (just getting back into MLers so I'm a bit behind) and centerfire. I've personally seen the results on powerbelt bullets. A few success stories and MANY failures. When I lived in PA I had one of the best blood trailing dogs in the state and many knew it so if they couldn't find their deer, I got a call. A whole hell of a lot of those calls were from people using powerbelt bullets! That's no BS from the net, it's just plain old fact. Shoulders blown all to hell with poor penetration. To be fair, I got a lot of calls during archery season as well, mostly people using expandable broadheads.

I'd like to see where you get your information from about powerbelts being the number one selling ML bullet. I'm sure it's from someone sponsored by CVA. I can honestly say I know VERY few people in the muzzleloading world that have some years behind them and real world experience that use them. Except those sponsored by CVA of course. And even most of those only CLAIM to use them when in fact they use better bullets on their own hunts not being sponsored by CVA.

As far as their guns, I'll say it again, I'll let their record of lawsuits and payoffs speak to that.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

flint head

It is none of my business what your avatar is -- it is yours to choose. The deal is, i just got a chuckle out of it, because you wrote you didn't advertise, and just centimeters away from your sentence was an ad for CVA, and now you did it again. Could be i find it ironic....i don't know, however, it absolutely doesn't matter.

Me, i don't hate CVA; i don't like the way they feel as a hunting rifle. For hunting, there are rifles i like better, so they are what i carry. I do shoot a CVA at the range once in a while, when they are the best choice. Given a choice between a rifle made in America, and a foreign made rifle, i will lean toward American made. When Blackhorn was first available, CVA shooters were having difficulty with reliable ignition; i made the old hex head CVA plugs 100% reliable. Even today, years later, i still provide assistance to those that have rifles using the old style hex head CVA plugs, and are having ignition issues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.