Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Accura at the range for hunting season... >

Accura at the range for hunting season...

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Accura at the range for hunting season...

Old 08-21-2016, 06:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Anyone care to guess who said this in 2014?

I was just sitting here looking at the nosler mz i recovered and was thinking... With the powerbelt being .498 - .499" why can't they smarten up a bit and go the lead alloy route like the Nosler mz - hornady FPB? The gas check is what holds a powerbelt in the bore snug, sooooo, why not? It would take care of the explodes on impact effect.
It sure sounds like the person is unhappy with how fast it expands at impact.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hornady FPB bullets have a front hollowpoint, but have a lead alloy rear section so, they are kind of the Nosler partition for the muzzy: front that mushrooms reliably and rear section that hangs together better. AND they are $10 cheaper per 15! I shot a cow elk at a severe uphill angle and hit the bone just above the elbow with an FPB. It held together and broke the bone and took out the heart. I have zero doubt if I had used the aerolite for that shot, she would have had a broken bone, there would have been a huge entrance hole, but not enough of the bullet would have entered the chest, and I would never have recovered her.

That said, they have a major design flaw when it comes to a lot of CVA rifles: they are too big! They need to come out with a smaller sized bullet for the small bore guns like CVA. In fact, those with CVAs should contact them and request that they do just that. Even thought I don't own a CVA muzzy, I just emailed them with that suggestion. I used powerbelts for about 15 years, but after trying the 350 gr FPB (and killing 4 elk with them), I would never go back

For those rifles there are still better choices than the aerolite for elk sized game. I would use a 460 gr No excuse or bullshop before I ever tried the aerolite. Again, reliable bullet and MUCH cheaper.

There is one time when I would probably pick the aerolite hands down: Shooting at paper! There is no question they are accurate.

Last edited by txhunter58; 08-21-2016 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

MD, I swear you go back and forth more than a sprinkler head!! Is support from CVA that important to you? High shoulder on Elk and Whitetail is very light bone. A bullet blowing up on it tells me that bullet has major problems. Especially at muzzleloader velocities.

Over my many long years hunting big game, I have seen many bullets come to market advertising their superiority over anything else on the market and while a few have stepped up to their claims, powerbelts, barring accuracy, is by far NOT one of them! They are over priced fishing sinkers plain and simple. How the hell they are still in business I have absolutely no clue. I guess the clueless ones out there fall for the advertising (lies) and buy them. There are SOOOOOO many better options out there it's damn near ridiculous and at near half the cost!
Old 08-21-2016, 09:56 AM
Banned

I'd never take a shoulder shot on an elk with any bullet, centerfire or muzzle loader. Way to much valuable meat on an elk.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

CVA is the #1 selling muzzleloader and Powerbelt bullets are the #1 muzzleloading projectile. Everyone can shoot what they like... you will hear no complaints from me,,, but it always amazes me that these two bring out such a reaction from the muzzleloading experts.

Who is buying these exploding guns and fragmenting bullets then?

I think it's people that just hunt and kill deer... dummies not in the know I guess.

Wait,,, what's that smell?? I think it's venison cube steak and gravy coming from one of those dummies' kitchen...
Old 08-21-2016, 10:57 AM
Banned

Smell more like Troll Stew to me!
Old 08-21-2016, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
I'd never take a shoulder shot on an elk with any bullet, centerfire or muzzle loader. Way to much valuable meat on an elk.
Another pitiful excuse and more than likely BS as we all know you will take any shot that you can secure an animal with. You won't take a shoulder shot on an Elk with powerjunks because you know they have a problem with blowing up period. But you are welcome to be a good little advertising agent for CVA and Powerbelt while the hunters that actually have a clue about our equipment will use better bullets so our shots aren't limited by 50% of target area.

Originally Posted by flint head
CVA is the #1 selling muzzleloader and Powerbelt bullets are the #1 muzzleloading projectile. Everyone can shoot what they like... you will hear no complaints from me,,, but it always amazes me that these two bring out such a reaction from the muzzleloading experts.

Who is buying these exploding guns and fragmenting bullets then?

I think it's people that just hunt and kill deer... dummies not in the know I guess.

Wait,,, what's that smell?? I think it's venison cube steak and gravy coming from one of those dummies' kitchen...
I don't consider myself an expert by any means Flint, but what I do have is well over 3000 hog kills, over 500 whitetail kills, 46 Elk kills, 34 Moose kills, 28 Black Bear kills, 4 Brown Bear (actual hunts, add 2 self defense) and 2 Musk Ox. I've loaded my own ammo for well over 50 years so yes Flint I do have just a smidge of knowledge about terminal ballistics and how a bullet SHOULD perform. I'd pretty much bet I have taken more animals with a ML'er in years past than you and MD combined. And no all those animals weren't taken with a ML'er but a good portion was. Both the Musk Ox were. 11 of the Black Bear were. 8 or 9 of the Moose were. 16 of the Elk were. 40 or so of the Whitetails were. 200 or so of the Hogs were.

I've personally witnessed the horrendous performance of powerbelt bullets on game. Had to chase down quite a few wounded animals for friends that fell for the ads thinking the powerbelts were the cream of the crop. Again I will say it, they are usually fantastic as far as accuracy for a Full Bore bullet and hell I'd probably use them for competition but on live game? Hell no. Just too many bullets out there that fly well enough and outperform powerbelts terminally for half the price.

As far as your comment about the safety of CVA barrels and such, I think I'll let their record of law suits and payoffs speak for itself there.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Another pitiful excuse and more than likely BS as we all know you will take any shot that you can secure an animal with. You won't take a shoulder shot on an Elk with powerjunks because you know they have a problem with blowing up period. But you are welcome to be a good little advertising agent for CVA and Powerbelt while the hunters that actually have a clue about our equipment will use better bullets so our shots aren't limited by 50% of target area.

I don't consider myself an expert by any means Flint, but what I do have is well over 3000 hog kills, over 500 whitetail kills, 46 Elk kills, 34 Moose kills, 28 Black Bear kills, 4 Brown Bear (actual hunts, add 2 self defense) and 2 Musk Ox. I've loaded my own ammo for well over 50 years so yes Flint I do have just a smidge of knowledge about terminal ballistics and how a bullet SHOULD perform. I'd pretty much bet I have taken more animals with a ML'er in years past than you and MD combined. And no all those animals weren't taken with a ML'er but a good portion was. Both the Musk Ox were. 11 of the Black Bear were. 8 or 9 of the Moose were. 16 of the Elk were. 40 or so of the Whitetails were. 200 or so of the Hogs were.

I've personally witnessed the horrendous performance of powerbelt bullets on game. Had to chase down quite a few wounded animals for friends that fell for the ads thinking the powerbelts were the cream of the crop. Again I will say it, they are usually fantastic as far as accuracy for a Full Bore bullet and hell I'd probably use them for competition but on live game? Hell no. Just too many bullets out there that fly well enough and outperform powerbelts terminally for half the price.

As far as your comment about the safety of CVA barrels and such, I think I'll let their record of law suits and payoffs speak for itself there.
That should about do it......
Old 08-21-2016, 12:00 PM
Banned

I've seen poor shots with 300 win mags. Does that make them junk too?
Old 08-21-2016, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
I've seen poor shots with 300 win mags. Does that make them junk too?
A poor shot with a bullet, is a lot different than a bullet failing with a well placed shot.

Promote the bullet as much as you'd like but, rest assured, we know how that bullet performs. Of all the lost animal complaints you can find on the internet, that bullet ranks #1.

Two things you won't find anywhere, except at the bottom of the list, in any competition or accuracy match, are "that" bullet and CVA rifles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.