Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
TC .50 Black Diamond Rifle Scores Boar >

TC .50 Black Diamond Rifle Scores Boar

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC .50 Black Diamond Rifle Scores Boar

Old 03-19-2016, 10:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default TC .50 Black Diamond Rifle Scores Boar

Suddenly got a bug to hog hunt Thursday afternoon. Got to the lease about 6 pm. Planned on sitting in a wooden shanty watching a feeder. That was nixed when the feeder was found to be out of corn. Went to my metal blind overlooking another feeder.

The gun was my TC Black Diamond .50 caliber. Checked the zero of the gun on Wednesday at 100 meters.

Gun: TC Black Diamond .50 caliber
Powder: 100 measured grains of Black MZ
Bullet: 250 grain SST
Sabot: Black crush rib
Cap: Winchester magnum #11

Was in the blind about five minutes and spotted a big hog on the trail about 65 yards in front. The hog stopped and i fired. Hog took off running but quickly slowed. Found him lying about 50 yards from where he was hit. Checked the trail for blood and there was absolutely none. The only blood found was where the hog went down and thrashed around.

This was a solid 275-300 pound boar. Bullet entered midway just behind the shoulder taking out two ribs. A big piece of the bullet exited just in front of the offside ham breaking two ribs. A small piece of the bullet also exited, leaving a knife like cut in the skin.

The lungs and liver were torn up and the heart was intact.

Forgot my camera and used my flip phone. The bad photo below is a photo of my cell phone photo.

Last edited by falcon; 03-19-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I quit using those SST's a good while back. They just seem too fragile for me after having a few from the MLer as well as a few from CF (7mm.08 to be exact) blow up on the shoulder at close range. They were plenty accurate but just too dang inconsistent on terminal performance.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

nice looking hog for such a short hunt ! wish we had some hogs in arizona that could be hunted all year long !!
Old 03-19-2016, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

My congrats.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Falcon. Are those large boars much good to eat?
Old 03-19-2016, 01:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Are those large boars much good to eat?
They are good to eat: Sometimes a little tough. That one was fat and should be good eating. Hog was given to a person who keeps his extended family and neighbors well fed with pork.

BTW: A skinny hog is not fit to eat.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:39 PM
Dominant Buck

I shoot the 200 grain .40 caliber Shockwaves. But so far only at targets. Maybe I should mail you some and you could try them on a hog to see the ballistics and wound channel they make. It might be interesting.

You mentioned no blood trail. What do you think was the cause of that? It sounds like the bullet did extensive damage inside the hog. And there was an exit wound. Was it a high shoulder type shot maybe?

While I understand that hogs are a real problem and a pest at best. They sure sound like a lot of fun to hunt. And good to eat. Congratulations on a great hog!
Old 03-19-2016, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
I shoot the 200 grain .40 caliber Shockwaves. But so far only at targets. Maybe I should mail you some and you could try them on a hog to see the ballistics and wound channel they make. It might be interesting.

You mentioned no blood trail. What do you think was the cause of that? It sounds like the bullet did extensive damage inside the hog. And there was an exit wound. Was it a high shoulder type shot maybe?

While I understand that hogs are a real problem and a pest at best. They sure sound like a lot of fun to hunt. And good to eat. Congratulations on a great hog!
Cayu, my guess would be, since he said it had a good amount of fat on it, that the fat layer plugged up the entry and exits. Happens all the time on hogs during the winter months. When they "lean out" over the spring and summer it doesn't happen as often. That's partially why I like to use a large frontal surface bullet like a flat point or at times even a semi wad cutter. Ya aint sealing that up when it gets removed.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

i have some 200 grain .40 caliber Shockwaves. My Black Diamond shoots them like lasers to the same point of impact as the 250 grain SSTs. i've neglected to try those 200 grain .40 bullets on hogs. After checking their zero in that gun, i'll give them a try.

You mentioned no blood trail. What do you think was the cause of that?
The fat and the positions of the entrance and exit wounds. The entrance wound was about 1" in diameter, midway just behind the shoulder; you can see it in the picture. The exit wound was about the same size, again midway up the body.

When i hung the hog up blood flowed from his mouth but not the entrance wound. The chest cavity was full of blood.
Old 03-19-2016, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice job Falcon! That is a dandy. Looks like the bullet did its job just fine. I've had the same thing happen on deer now and then, even with CF rifles.
I'm envious...would love to have a place to shoot some pigs around here. Keep up the good work!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.