Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight Mountaineer questions >

Knight Mountaineer questions

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Mountaineer questions

Old 04-07-2016, 03:40 PM
Spike

I will contact the person at Knight that you mentioned and Talk to him about getting it fixed. If for some reason I need to shim it I will do that. Can I get your Name so I can reference you if need be? You can pm if you want or if you don't want me to mention your name then that's fine also. Thank you for your time, its hard to find good people like you.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:43 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Grouse45
I would not send it back to Knight. I would pick up some CCI primers and shim your plug to fit. The CCI regular primers not mag will be the most consistent primers and you'll be pretty much set. And before you shim the plug I would have someone drill it out and put a vent liner in so the plug will last forever.
What does the vent liner do? How long will the bp last with out one??
Old 04-07-2016, 03:55 PM
Spike

Would the primer not completely sealing cause it to not be as accurate?? I haven't done hardly any load testing and I don't shoot out of a sled, just resting on something. I'm shooting 1.5-2 inch groups roughly at 100 yards....I really want it and I to shoot better than that, I will do more testing with it later this year. I'm okay with the groups because I know I can kill a deer with it but would like it to be better.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by zmason1002
Would the primer not completely sealing cause it to not be as accurate??
Probably would not have a large effect on accuracy. Basically what is happening you are loosing pressure out the back of the barrel and will suffer a slight reduction of velocity. For the purposes of hunting you would probably never know. If it were a target rifle it might drive you nutz

I haven't done hardly any load testing and I don't shoot out of a sled, just resting on something.
In the long run you are really better off not using the lead sled - that is just my opinion -

I use two adjustable rest to shoot off of. You can see the setup in these pics

I am sure I could achieve better accuracy with the lead sled but for me the two rests give me a more realistic picture of what my rifle does.

I'm shooting 1.5-2 inch groups roughly at 100 yards....I really want it and I to shoot better than that, I will do more testing with it later this year.
For hunting those groups are just fine. Even out to 200 your groups will still provide you POI that you need to harvest.

Even the bullet you choose to shoot can effect the accuracy and again if I were shooting paper for money I certainly would change the bullet I am using now. The Lehigh's that are I use are the most devastating bullet in an animal that I have ever used, but I certainly would not win an accuracy award with the tightest groups possible with them.

I know that I can shoot a clay pigeon at 200 yards -if the external conditions cooperate - and that is all I need for a ethical harvest.

I'm okay with the groups because I know I can kill a deer with it but would like it to be better.
You could probably improve that group size some what going with a Parker bullet like this.

These Parkers flat out fly!

The Parker Match Hunter/Emax will most likely shrink your groups.

http://parker-productions-llc.myshop...s/match-hunter

But at this point I would not use them for hunting, or the type of hunting that I do here in North Idaho.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

IMO: Sabotloader is right.

Knight builds excellent rifles and Knight will fix the problem, let them do it.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I too would let knight do it. If it comes back to you and still has a bit of blow back then I would shim it. I shimmed my TC's (both ML'er barrel and CF barrels, different type of shimming) and it's not a difficult job at all. Just a matter of measuring twice and working once. As far as you not wanting to use a lead sled for shooting, you couldn't be more correct. Rifle stocks are designed with the human shoulder in mind. The lead sled doesn't move, thereby not absorbing the recoil, and puts unintended stress on the stock tang. I've seen several rifle stocks split at the tang from people using those infernal sleds.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:27 AM
Typical Buck

Shimming it takes no time at all and even though it should come ready to go, i wouldnt be shipping it back myself. If i was going to be sending anything off it would be that breech plug to someone to install a removeable ventliner or the whole gun to bestill customs to have him fit a bushing plug to it. If you are worried about accuracy and you are shooting bh209, i would be getting something better than the factory plug with the brazen vent.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:23 AM
Spike

I had the same problem I contacted Knight they said send the rifle back to them I asked who was going to pay for this they said me I said I bought a brand new rifle shot it once and because you have a problem with your product I will have to pay shipping myself I was so Po'd that I contacted the dealer he traded me a red disc rifle for the bare primer one I had I haven't shot it yet and really don't think I will I may trade it for the Remington Ultimate I have owned Knight rifles and up till now never had a problem with returning a rifle when Tony Knight owned the company. One should not have to shim a breech plug if it was done right when the rifle was made My rifle is a 45 Caliber 1-20 twist

Last edited by ourway77; 04-22-2016 at 04:24 AM. Reason: forgot information
Old 04-22-2016, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ourway77
I had the same problem I contacted Knight they said send the rifle back to them I asked who was going to pay for this they said me I said I bought a brand new rifle shot it once and because you have a problem with your product I will have to pay shipping myself I was so Po'd that I contacted the dealer he traded me a red disc rifle for the bare primer one I had I haven't shot it yet and really don't think I will I may trade it for the Remington Ultimate I have owned Knight rifles and up till now never had a problem with returning a rifle when Tony Knight owned the company. One should not have to shim a breech plug if it was done right when the rifle was made My rifle is a 45 Caliber 1-20 twist
Only thing is they don't no what primer you will be using so they set it up for win primers if you us anything then that the primers or shorter and will link around the primer and needs a custom fit. I sent mine up for one primer and stay with that primer only and works just fine.

Last edited by a1smokepole; 04-22-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:28 PM
Spike

well, I've tried contacting them a couple times. They was going to call back and I haven't heard back from them. I'm about to just shim it my self. I haven't been to pushy about calling because I work nights and am busy with everything else so its hard to keep calling them. Oh well...I'll try a couple more times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.