HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Huntin with member Falcon today (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/405030-huntin-member-falcon-today.html)

MountainDevil54 03-06-2016 08:31 PM

Huntin with member Facon today

Got into oklahoma today with my dad and brother. We met up with Floyd (falcon) and chit chatted for a bit and then drove out to the hog hunting area so falcon could show us around and where to set up, along with baiting and setting traps.

On the second to last trap we ( dad,bro and I ) were ooooing and ahhhing over the nice little pond set up and I caught some white/pinkish color in the swampy area.

Turned out to be a hog and I says.. Floyd, there's hogs down there!

What?!

There's hogs down there! I see a black one and a white/pink hog.

Go get 'em Jon!

I got out of the truck, primed my new Traditions Hawken Woodsman loaded with 80gr Goex 2fg, primed with Goex 4fg, .015" patch lubed with my Anti rust & patch lube, home cast .490" round ball.

The wind was blowing pretty good and as I was working my way to a dead tree for some support to lean on, there was a 20ish pound pig looking at me while the fat porky and the black porky were rooting around in the swampy grass stuff. They had their backs to me and so I took my time setting the trigger and waiting for the fat porky to move into position for a clean shot.

After a short time, the 2 big hogs started to root around and she turned into perfect position!

I squeezed the trigger and she fired instantly and through the smoke, I saw her drop on the spot.

I had to run to falcons truck to grab a speed loader and after that, we went out to find her.

I'm a bit tired right now to tell the rest of the story but holy smokes guys. None of us expected to get a hog this evening after a 7 hour drive!

Who says them stupid simple, stupid low cost, stupid round balls can't kill?!

Don't worry, I have more pics to load, just tired to the point that my head is throbbing lol.

super_hunt54 03-06-2016 11:23 PM

I smell.....BACON!!! That porker looks nice n fat! What was the yardage?

Bill308 03-07-2016 01:55 AM

Great hunt

Fun. Good story and hog.

WV Hunter 03-07-2016 02:32 AM

Nice work! :D Sounds like fun. Cool looking hog. Even though I know they are bad to have around, I wish we had some in the areas I hunt.

flounder33 03-07-2016 05:02 AM

Nice Going!

Gm54-120 03-07-2016 05:46 AM

Is this a traditional topic and are you promoting home cast round balls that are only used by a small fraction of today's muzzleloader hunters? :p

Sorry, i couldn't resist. Nice pig. :D

cayugad 03-07-2016 06:09 AM

Very nice pig!! I can't hardly wait for your full report of, like range, and where you hit, how far it ran, penetration, wound channel, all that fun stuff. Good luck hunting more of them. Very cool!!

Muley Hunter 03-07-2016 06:41 AM

Oh boy! Bacon Bacon Bacon..........

cayugad 03-07-2016 07:25 AM

While Bacon is a real favorite. And when we butchered hogs, everyone liked the smoked bacon when it was done, I always liked the pork chops and steaks on a grill. That to me was good eating. Besides, the doctors told me to watch the bacon intake... doctors have a list of anything good to eat, and they tell you to cut back on it. :s13:

MountainDevil54 03-07-2016 07:29 AM

We're in the field now. Cold,windy and light rain blowing in the wind. Also pulled a tick off my face.