Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 hows everyone making out >

hows everyone making out

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

hows everyone making out

Old 10-19-2003, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default hows everyone making out

I was just wondering how you early Blackpowder PA hunters are making out. I shot my first deer with my encore saturday evening. This was my second season blackpowder hunting and it was a GREAT feeling to finally know that I can do it when it comes to hunting and not just on the range. Well good luck everyone and I was just curious to see how you all made out.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:58 PM

Default RE: hows everyone making out

im not from PA but i was lucky enough to take a very good size doe this year. The thompson center encore pulled it through, got a very good shot
Old 10-19-2003, 08:44 PM

I had 3 mall doe come with in 35 yrds but they were so small, so I waited and then a big doe came by my tree it was getting dark . checked her out to make sure she wasn' t a spike then just as i was getting ready she took off. Oh well more hunting ahead. I just bought a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40 Firefly Scope. can' t wait to shoot it in..
Old 10-19-2003, 09:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

not good.....the flinter is hung up for the early season....its going to kill me but im not going back out....i lost one saturday...shot it at 2pm tracked till dark and over 2 hours today......nothing....i found blood hair and a small bone fragment at the impact sight...then a few tiny tiny drops here and there for 30 yds or so...then NOTHING...i circle and gridded it all....then i was walking out to go get dad if he was still up( stayed up to take me that morn and went home to goto bed bacuse he had to work night turn again that night...i know i have a great dad)..and was coming out and found more blood...tiny specks here and there..followed it down a deer highway and lost it...started gridding and circling and found 3 small spots of blood about the size of my fist...all within a few foot of eachother...it was a ton of blood compared to what i found on the whole trail....i got excited and though forsure id find her around there....cirlce gridded and busted the whole thicket all around for hours...looked in the creek looked in the springs looked in every log jam....heck i even found a deer someone must have shot and couldnt find in the thicket.....it was just bones but i bet it was shot....i looked for over 6 hours...i have blisters on my feet and am sore as can be busting that brush and humping over logs that long...she just simlply didnt bleed....the blood was bright red...i thought it was a good lung hit....but she went over 150 yards from impact sight to the big spots of blood i found...i was shooting 50 cal 295gr copper jacketed powerbelts...the range was 35-40yrds....my gun was shooting a bit low and sometimes right and the deer was quartering away..so i aimed just right of the shoulder bone and a little above the center so it hits right behind the shoulder and plows through the second shoulder...but it didnt work out that way....i had my friend stand ther today and i sat in my spot...yesterday it was dark and grey out and the forst canopy is thick there making it very dark...i couldnt see the sticks and brush in my way....just the deer and waht looked like a perfect lane...if i would seen it i would never shot....today it was sunny and alot of leaves fell over the night and my friends like how the he!! did you see the deer!?!?! and i was like your right.....i didnt notice.....i feel horrible...i did all i could...i learned a ton though and will try not to make the same mistakes again....you can read all my stories on the deer hunting forum under " sick" i have alot of detailed posts under there about my days of looking and what i learned and the whole story ect if you care......it was a great story...just didnt end like a fairytale....unfortunently....but i learned...and im not taking the muzzleloader back out until the snow falls....i just dont think its the right thing to do.....a little snow will help me track....ive never really tracked...so i need a bit of help....i learned alot over the last 2 days....i shoulda waited before looking and everything....but i was never taught that...and only read it about bow hunting....but im chaning my ways.....sorry to let you guys down....maybe the late season ill bag one for ya....its going to kill me not to hunt this week..weather is nice every one of my days off too....and i have most of the week off.....looks like ill be squirrel hunting or shooting the flinter.......good luck....congrats on the deer those who did bag one
Old 10-24-2003, 10:55 AM

Shot a doe this morning. 60 yds, using CVA HunterBolt, topped with Bushnell 4X scope, 2 - 50 gram pyrodex pellets, and powerbelt 245 gr hollow points.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:06 AM
Fork Horn

My season is going good, now that I have a buck tag in hand. I got my doe with my muzzleloader on 10/31. She was a nice big doe and she gave me a broadside shot at 53 yards. I was shooting an Austin & Halleck 320, 2 pyrodex pellets and Hornandy SST 250. Hit her right behind the shoulders a tad lower than the midway point on her chest. She died on her feet. Should be some good eating. Only problem was that I shot her a half mile from the vehicle. I was truly grateful that I made a cart to pull her out on and a snowmobile trail was nearby.
Happy Hunting
Dan
Old 11-05-2003, 05:57 AM

I got my doe on that last Saturday, in the early evening. I was in my stand when the big buck walks by and I knew he had a hairum of does. So I wait and a few minutes later here come the does. The largest fist and some others after her. I was tring to decided which one to shot at when the first one stops and has her nose to the wind. I knew it was either now or never so I placed the sights on her front shoulders and pulled the trigger. She went down and never got up. I had dropped the gun off he truck on an earlier hunt and loosend the scope. I hit her high in the neck. I was using my CVA Firebolt 50 cal, shooting 150 grain and 295 Powerbelts. I' m still using the scope that came with the gun. The doe was about 70 yards away next to the lake by me. I have to resight in the scope but I' m going to try 100 grains and the 200 grain TC Shockwave at the range.

Tomster

Old 11-05-2003, 10:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Well I am not from PA. Here in Wisconsin I had great luck this early doe season. I used my new CVA .54 caliber Mountain Stalker shooting 85 grains of T-7, wonder wad, and patched round ball.

Thursday (opening day) afternoon I took a nice doe at 60 steps and shooting her through the heart and lungs, stopping her in her tracks. About 15 minutes later I took another doe through the lungs at 50 steps. She ran about 15 yards and dropped.

Sunday (closing day) about 15 minutes before the end of season, I shot a huge doe at about 40 steps through the lungs. She ran about 45 yards and dropped.

Old 11-05-2003, 10:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ours does not start until mid December but it runs through to Jan. 31st. It will be damn cold by then but then it was only 10 degrees this morning here in ND. Our rifle season comes first and opens this Friday the 7th November. I am hunting Black powder in South Dakota where I still have a small farm. Cold there too right now. Good snow though for those who like to hunt in the snow.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:03 PM

I am from York Pennsylvania and on the second day of the season I bagged a nice doe. I was sitting as close to a cornfield without sitting in it as i could and i was watching a tractor path to the left of it which was bordered by woods to the left. I was sitting there for a few hours when I spotted a fox being chased by two dogs so I wasn' t sure if I was going to get any action. Well, right before dark I noticed a nice big doe step out of the woods. I shot her and she dropped right there. She weighed 140 pounds dressed so she was pretty big. On the way out to get my truck I jumped a 4 pt and 3 doe who were feeding in the clover field above me.

Happy Trails

Quick Reply: hows everyone making out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.