Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Up grade on MK85 sights. >

Up grade on MK85 sights.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Up grade on MK85 sights.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Up grade on MK85 sights.

After getting my MK85's, I added Williams FP peeps. I hated the front sights on the rifles. I have been using the Lyman 17 AML globe sights on my Hot Rods for a long time. So I decided to give them a try on the knights.
The one thing that I knew was the front sight was going to be too tall for the FP. I knew I needed to probably rise the rear sight. So I measured approximately how much I needed and found what I hope to be a suitable spacer. I ordered some screws to do the lift kit but I didn't know what size so I got them too long and had to trim them down.
I don't know where the sight will be set yet but it feel good. A little taller so it feels a little but different than it used to. I will have to give it a try and see how it does.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Earlier (pre-accutrigger) Savage actions were flat in the rear and the action is larger OD than a MK85. I wonder if a Williams peep sight for it would work without any spacer?
Old 02-27-2016, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure. The problem with adding these better front sights is the lowest one is a 17AHB at .404 high. That is what this one is that I have installed. It raises the front sight about .162" higher than the factory sight.
The lift kit spacer I put on the back is .187" so with the old front sights I was in the middle of the sights adjustment so I didn't have a lot of room to go out farther for additional yardage past 200 yards. If the back sight is lifted too far I can reduce that by just grinding the lift kit down a bit.