HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   QLA Flunked, Yes It Did (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/404568-qla-flunked-yes-did.html)

ronlaughlin 02-14-2016 09:31 AM

QLA Flunked, Yes It Did

Two rifles came with, to the hills this morning. The Optima, and another Omega. This is the third different Omega shot these past two days; it is the one that was used to 'burst' pop. First the Omega was shot three times, then the Optima. W209 primer was used in both rifles, as was Art' (Flounder) home cast conicals, a wad, and 60g Blackhorn.

One can see that a bullet fired by the Omega nearly, completely missed the paper, and the three shots look like they came from a shotgun.

flounder33 02-14-2016 09:33 AM

Not so good.

ronlaughlin 02-14-2016 10:09 AM

Art, surely you don't think the problem is your casting? Remember 4 year ago when you sent those 499g, your first casting? They scattered the same as these, from that old X7. What i did then was cut the OLA off of that rifle.

After i cut the QLA off, here is what i wrote back then

when i arrived in the hills, rain seemed imminent, so i didn't take long placing the target at 48 yard, and loading the X7 with 100g BH, 300g Deep Curl, crush rib sabot, and W209 primer. The aim was the lower bull for all shots taken today. Two shots were taken using the Deep Curl; they are the 2 holes in the lower target.

Without taking time to adjust the scope, the rifle was loaded 3 times with Art' bullet, 85g BH, and W209 primer. The holes dyed green are these shots. Then a move was made out to 100 yard. By now it had begun raining, so the rifle was loaded and fired with Art' bullet 3 times without delay. These are the other 3 holes in the upper target. That uses all the 499g Art cast bullet i had.

flounder33 02-14-2016 10:17 AM

:)I would have a tendency to blame the QLA, there is one way to find out!

bronko22000 02-14-2016 03:39 PM

Does this go along with your theory that if the QLA is off center of the bore line than it will cause an erratic pressure imbalance to the bullet as it passes on the way out which in turn affects accuracy?
It makes sense to me too.

Slowburn 02-14-2016 05:01 PM

Bronko, I have had this happen with the AR platform. When I accuracy tune an AR the first thing is to remove the factory flash suppressor and install a break that has the perforation 360 degrees. The gasses around the muzzle will cause issues with accuracy if the preasure is not equal upon the exit of the bullet.

Muley Hunter 02-15-2016 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4245048)
Does this go along with your theory that if the QLA is off center of the bore line than it will cause an erratic pressure imbalance to the bullet as it passes on the way out which in turn affects accuracy?
It makes sense to me too.

Why wouldn't this pressure imbalance affect a sabot?

sabotloader 02-15-2016 06:22 AM

Muley Hunter 02-15-2016 09:00 AM

That didn't answer my question Mike.

sabotloader 02-15-2016 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 4245112)
That didn't answer my question Mike.

Why wouldn't this pressure imbalance affect a sabot?
Sorry Pete... The reason it does not effect sabots or even Power Belts - is the powder cup expands to the size of the QLA containing pressure behind the bullet.

Using a MMP sub-base would accomplish the same thing firing a full bore conical.