Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
No More Wind Free Range Sessions >

No More Wind Free Range Sessions

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

No More Wind Free Range Sessions

Old 02-14-2016, 07:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default No More Wind Free Range Sessions

My rifle range - before & after.

This is what the 300 yard rifle range at our hunting club lease looked like up until last week.

And this is what it looks like now, after a clear-cut of about 100 acres of our 900 acre lease.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

That is a big difference! One question though. Where is your backstop?
That sort of looks like the reclaimed strip mine areas I shoot at up in PA.

Last edited by bronko22000; 02-14-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

It's difficult to tell from those pictures. But there's a gentle upward slope starting at the 50 yard mark and extending the length of the range out to the tree line seen in the second picture. That tree line is 340 yards from the bench. Most shots bury themselves in the soft sandy loam just beyond the targets. If there are any ricochets, the backstop is the tree line. It's all private land and our lease extends another 500 yards beyond that tree line.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:56 AM
Banned

wow thats a huge change of scenery.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:38 PM
Fork Horn

I hate seeing clear cuts after I get used to hunting a certain area. But the amount of bucks you will see in 2 years on that clear cut will be amazing. It will be a deer salad out there soon.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

You're right deer655. We're really excited about the cut. The herd on our lease was declining over the last five years as trees matured in much of the area. Then two years ago they did a "3rd Row" thinning cut on about 150 acres of the lease. Then last year they did another thinning cut on another 100 acres. In both instances we noted an increase of forage, thicker understory, and and increase in the deer population. Now with the clear cut we're going to see a real population bump over the next five years or so.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by deer655
I hate seeing clear cuts after I get used to hunting a certain area. But the amount of bucks you will see in 2 years on that clear cut will be amazing. It will be a deer salad out there soon.
Thats the plus for sure. But DANG... why'd they have to do the section where your range is

Will they replant in rows, or just let it grow up? I assume rows for future harvest.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep definitely changed the landscape
Old 02-14-2016, 06:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Don't know the planting plans yet WV. They usually row plant.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by deer655
This may be true in some cases, but we have a land owner who had the cut under growth killed off!!! Since this was done our deer have cut paths going around these areas.

As for me, my lease is mostly wet lands and what is dry is too small an area to harvest the lumber. I hope.

Our problems here in Virginia is that the price of hard wood lumber has gone way up!!! Once we loose the hardwoods and have them replaced with pines the area isn't the same!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.