Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

R.E.A.L bullets?

Old 02-04-2016, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default R.E.A.L bullets?

I was thinking of buying a mold and making my own in a .54. Anybody shoot these or use lyman mold and make them? How do they shoot? How do they perform on game? I use 430 maxi balls right now and like how they shoot but figured these would have a little less recoil.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:36 AM
Dominant Buck

I cast both sizes for the 50 and 54 calibers. They shoot excellent if you don't push them hard. One deer they work really good. I have a friend that shoots the 300 grain with 70 grains of Pyrodex RS and he has taken a few deer with them with no problems.

I have shot five deer to date with them. Again, I think the largest grain I used was 80 at very close range. And the wound channel is much like you'd expect with any conical. I also shot them out of my CVA Staghorn Magnum and they shot real good.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by caplock
I was thinking of buying a mold and making my own in a .54. Anybody shoot these or use lyman mold and make them? How do they shoot? How do they perform on game? I use 430 maxi balls right now and like how they shoot but figured these would have a little less recoil.
As we enter-into 2016, you really don't have any other choice, but to mold your own, concerning 54-cal conicals under 400 grains. I suppose you could contact either the Bull Shop, No Excuse bullet company or Ed Mehlig here at Hunting.net, to see if they have anything to offer you.

Lighter 54s are a rapidly dying business for sure. Even the sabot and Powerbelt offerings are slowly disappearing by manufacturers. It's really the two plastic sabot companies themselves, helping to keep the 54 cal-cause going and I'm guessing their sales of the 54-cal sabots are trending downwards too.

Last edited by GoexBlackhorn; 02-04-2016 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by caplock
caplock,

I don't believe you'll find that in a Lyman mold, it's a LEE bullet. I cast them and shoot them through my sidelock ML's. They're a good bullet and I've killed a few deer with them. Lee's molds are reasonably priced should you consider casting your own. Use pure soft lead for these because all three bands of the bullet engrave the rifling upon loading, hence the name REAL... Rifling Engraved At Loading!

BPS
Old 02-04-2016, 10:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have not cast or shot any in the .54 but have for the .50 in both 250 and 320 gr. Like Cayugad stated they shoot really good with the right load. In my one rifle I found that it likes a healthy charge (100 gr of FFFg) for the 250 gr but only a light charge (80 gr FFg) for the 320 gr bullets.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

You do not mention what twist or gun it makes a quite a bit of difference. If it is an inline with a fast twist they may not work I have used them in a side lock you may be alright.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe you're correct Lee...

I think they were developed during the heyday of mass production of T/C's sidelocks and other companies repo Hawken style rifles of which most had a midrange twist.

BPS
Old 02-04-2016, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

The guns I would be shooting them out of is a Cabelas Hawkins, Thomson Grey hawk, both 1-48, and a Thomson Black mountain magnum which is 1-38 I believe. oh yea it was a Lee mold I was looking at purchasing.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
I believe you're correct Lee...

I think they were developed during the heyday of mass production of T/C's sidelocks and other companies repo Hawken style rifles of which most had a midrange twist.

BPS
I have shot them in my 50 cal Hot Rods and they did okay but I only tested them to 100 yards. The groups I got were between 3" and 4" with peep sights.
I wanted a bullet that was a little more accurate. If I had to use them I would be okay with it but I would not push them much past 100 in my guns.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

With my eye's and abilities with open sights I shouldn't shoot at anything past 100 yards anyway.😄 Do you think they would be an ok Colorado elk bullet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.